DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   SK 100 G3 Battery Powering (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/512216-sk-100-g3-battery-powering.html)

James Kuhn November 20th, 2012 02:41 PM

SK 100 G3 Battery Powering

Sorry for the crappy subject title. I'm trying to find out how to power my Senn. G3 Transmitter body-pack from my Remote-Audio BDS? My audio kit is powered by an NP1 style battery. I'm sure there is a cable that will accomplish it.

Thanks,

J.

Brian P. Reynolds November 20th, 2012 03:55 PM

Re: SK 100 G3 Battery Powering

You mean one of these............
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/355456-REG/Sennheiser_DC2_DC2_DC_Camera.html

James Kuhn November 20th, 2012 05:09 PM

Brian...thank you for your thoughtful response. That's getting closer, but what I was looking for is a cable that can use the Remote-Audio Battery Distribution System. The R-M BDS is a small "patch panel", that distributes power from an NP style battery.

J.

Rick Reineke November 20th, 2012 05:18 PM

I'm in the same boat.. sort of.. but since the body-pack transmitter (or receiver) gets 10-12 hours out of rechargeables, it's not worth the cost IMHO. I use Sanyo Endloop and Rayovac Hybrid, both of which have very low self-discharge and will go 12 hr's w/o even shutting down for lunch.
The 9V(x2) Lectro receivers are another story.

Brian P. Reynolds November 20th, 2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Kuhn (Post 1764373)
Brian...thank you for your thoughtful response. That's getting closer, but what I was looking for is a cable that can use the Remote-Audio Battery Distribution System. The R-M BDS is a small "patch panel", that distributes power from an NP style battery.

J.

In the small box that fits into the battery compartment is the electronics to convert 12v down to the 3v that is needed by the TX / RX and note it has a flying lead on it to put any sort of connection on to suit the user.
A direct connection to the TX /RX with 12v without that converter will fry the electronics...... DON'T DO IT !!!!!

The cover plate just has a cutout in it to get the cable in.

John Willett November 21st, 2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds (Post 1764379)
In the small box that fits into the battery compartment is the electronics to convert 12v down to the 3v that is needed by the TX / RX and note it has a flying lead on it to put any sort of connection on to suit the user.
A direct connection to the TX /RX with 12v without that converter will fry the electronics...... DON'T DO IT !!!!!

The cover plate just has a cutout in it to get the cable in.

Yes, you *have* to use the Sennheiser DC adaptor kit.

You then put a connector on the cable that fits your system.

James Kuhn November 21st, 2012 05:33 PM

Thank you gentlemen.

J.

Tom Morrow November 24th, 2012 01:34 AM

I soldered a DC2 to the appropriate BDS cable to do this myself. It works, but there is a ground loop issue that causes a buzz when I connect the g3 to a usb-powered DR-05 recorder powered from the BDS4u. I've been troubleshooting this with Remote Audio and they say they have heard other reports of ground loop issues with the DC2s (which are mini DC/DC inverters that convert from my 12V to 3V).

I'm going to be doing a more exhaustive test later when I have the time to determine whether this problem also occurs when running the g3's into my 302 mixer and/or SD702 recorder which seem more immune to the DC2 ground loop buzz...

James Kuhn November 25th, 2012 11:53 AM

Remote-Audio is a great resource! I had them make a custom cable for use with their BDS system to power my Marantz PMD-661. R-M is going to be my next stop for the SK 100 G3 power.

Tom Morrow - please keep the Forum up to speed on your progress. I've dealt with Stephen Reter at R-A, he's "Top-Shelf" as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the info!

J.