DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Two mics into stereo mic connector (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/512368-two-mics-into-stereo-mic-connector.html)

Rick Reineke November 28th, 2012 06:49 AM

Two mics into stereo mic connector

A client needs to record (audio only, and by herself) two lavs (w/ 1/8" plugs) onto separate tracks to a stereo 1/8" mic level input. I think she has a Tascam DR-05 or 07. Can I build/buy an adapter so each mic will be fed to the separate L&R channels? ie: one to tip, the other to ring) Will both mics receive the needed bias power?
Thanks, I do not deal with this type of configuration much, nor do I have that type of gear at hand to test.

Gary Nattrass November 28th, 2012 10:15 AM

Re: Two mics into stereo mic connector

Most of the 1/8" jack splitters you can buy are designed for headphones so will not split the signals as required, it may be better to split to two RCA sockets and then get two 1/8" jack socket to RCA adaptors.

Not sure of the powering implications tho so you may need a bit more research but this would be a cheap test to see if it works with one of these: 1/8" Stereo Headphone Plug to Female RCA Jack Splitter | eBay

and two 1/8" jack socket to RCA's

A small mixer or better suited recorder set-up with XLR's for decent mics would offer more control but I am sure you know that already.

Jim Schuchmann November 28th, 2012 10:52 AM

Google

1/8" Dual Mono Jack to 1/8" Stereo Plug Y-Adapter

Steve House November 28th, 2012 11:30 AM

The standard dual1/8 mono to 1/8 stereo Y cable should work fine including plugin power. A stereo mic takes a seperate power supply for the left and right capsules which the jack ought to provide.

Donald McPherson November 28th, 2012 12:01 PM

I can vouch for the ones Gary posted. I also tried a Y splitter for headphones didn't work.

Rick Reineke November 28th, 2012 01:03 PM

Thanks to all.
Cheers, Rick

Steve House November 28th, 2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1765468)
I can vouch for the ones Gary posted. I also tried a Y splitter for headphones didn't work.

Would depend on what kind of "Y". Dual stereo jacks to one stereo plug, designed to allow for two users to plug two sets of earbuds into one output jack, would not work. Dual mono inline TS jacks to 1 stereo plug, one inline jack for the left channel wired with its tip to the to the plug tip and sleeve to sleeve, the other for the right channel wired jack's tip to the plug's ring, and also sleeve to sleeve, wityh work fine.

Bruce Watson November 28th, 2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1765426)
A client needs to record (audio only, and by herself) two lavs (w/ 1/8" plugs) onto separate tracks to a stereo 1/8" mic level input. I think she has a Tascam DR-05 or 07. Can I build/buy an adapter so each mic will be fed to the separate L&R channels? ie: one to tip, the other to ring) Will both mics receive the needed bias power?
Thanks, I do not deal with this type of configuration much, nor do I have that type of gear at hand to test.

Hosa makes several stereo to 2 mono y-adapters. Like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252280-REG/Hosa_Technology_YMM_261_Stereo_Mini_Male_to.html

Rick Reineke November 28th, 2012 05:34 PM

No, a 'Y' cable HP splitter definitely would NOT work. I'll probably just custom make an adapter, two mono female 1/8" cable-end jacks (Left and Right) to a 1/8" stereo plug. The left wired to the Tip; right to the Ring; common ground of course.
I'm was more concerned about if bias power (aka, Plug in pwr) would get to both mics.
Making an adapter is cheap and easy... as everything ought to be.
But for $2.99, why bother. Thanks Bruce!

Gary Nattrass November 29th, 2012 02:11 AM

Not sure if the plug in power will be enough for two mic's but I think that is your concern too, it may be easier to build a small box with twin 1/8" sockets for the two mic's and a 9v battery supply for them, a third 1/8" stereo socket will then provide audio output.

Would still be less than $10 with all the parts easily available.

Steve House November 29th, 2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1765514)
No, a 'Y' cable HP splitter definitely would NOT work. I'll probably just custom make an adapter, two mono female 1/8" cable-end jacks (Left and Right) to a 1/8" stereo plug. The left wired to the Tip; right to the Ring; common ground of course.
I'm was more concerned about if bias power (aka, Plug in pwr) would get to both mics.
Making an adapter is cheap and easy... as everything ought to be.
But for $2.99, why bother. Thanks Bruce!

With a stereo mic there are two capsules, just like you'll have with two lavs. Each capsule gets its own separate bias voltage from the jack, one capsule being fed through the tip and the other capsule being fed through the ring. Since this is the same thing you'd do with the two lavs, the supply should be sufficient for them as well.

Greg Miller November 29th, 2012 01:35 PM

Based on the published description, that Hosa adapter cable should work fine.

Bias power is no problem, as others have pointed out. I've done the same thing with an old Microtrack, a DR-05, and a DR-07. Two inputs, two power sources, two capsules, everything is fine.