DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Tascam External mic powered or not?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/512619-tascam-external-mic-powered-not.html)

Chris Harding December 8th, 2012 08:33 PM

Tascam External mic powered or not??

Hi Guys

I normally just run 3 wireless mic setups at weddings but I have bought myself a Tascam DR-05 recorder just in case I need to drop it on the Church altar or mic someone else.

The Tascam has facilities for an external mic and I need to know if the recorder provides bias to the mic (like my transmitters do) or do I need to get a powered lav mic ?? I have a bunch of spare Azden lav mics and also a couple of tiny AKG boundary mics which would work great but both of these are unpowered so they rely on whatever they are plugged into to provide the bias voltage for the element.

What lavs work with the Tascam recorders???

Chris

Greg Miller December 8th, 2012 09:34 PM

Re: Tascam External mic powered or not??

According to the "Introduction" section of the owner's manual that comes with the DR-05, it does provide "plug-in power" (sometimes incorrectly called "bias voltage").

Plug-in power can be enabled or disabled using a menu setting, as explained beginning on page 43 of the manual.

I don't have a DR-05, but I do have a DR-07. I have used it with a few different lavs and stereo stand mics, without problems. The voltage supplied to the mic is only 2.35 volts. The DR-05 voltage may be similar, but you'd need to confirm that using a DVM; I can't find it listed in the manual. This voltage is probably adequate for most electret mics, but some mics may require more voltage, especially in high-SPL environments. You'd have to check the specs for the various mics in question.

Don Bloom December 8th, 2012 11:39 PM

I've also got a DR-05 and have used it with both types of mics. It's not picky. I prefer to use the mic that is un-powered and power it from the unit. One less thing to worry about. i set it and forget it.

Chris Harding December 8th, 2012 11:54 PM

Thanks Guys

Problem solved!! I didn't know you used a recorder Don??? This is my first venture into adding a recorder during the ceremony as I do have a few priests that wander around a bit and won't have a transmitter.

Most hover quite close to the altar so my "cunning plan" was to put the Tascam on the altar as since it's a nice big surface I'll put one of my tiny AKG boundary mics on the altar too and see if the extra audio might be better than relying on the groom's mic to pick up most of the homily. Nice priests are in front of the couple giving them their "marital advice" but the really nice ones agree to do it from the reading lectern where, of course, I have a 2nd transmitter!

Chris

Don Bloom December 9th, 2012 08:05 AM

Chris,
Yeah I took the plunge earlier this year but it isn't a primary source. It's a backup and a jeez, I need another source for this event type of thing but I have to say it has saved my bacon a couple of times this year. Can't beat it for the money.