Tascam External mic powered or not?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 8th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Tascam External mic powered or not??

Hi Guys

I normally just run 3 wireless mic setups at weddings but I have bought myself a Tascam DR-05 recorder just in case I need to drop it on the Church altar or mic someone else.

The Tascam has facilities for an external mic and I need to know if the recorder provides bias to the mic (like my transmitters do) or do I need to get a powered lav mic ?? I have a bunch of spare Azden lav mics and also a couple of tiny AKG boundary mics which would work great but both of these are unpowered so they rely on whatever they are plugged into to provide the bias voltage for the element.

What lavs work with the Tascam recorders???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Tascam External mic powered or not??

According to the "Introduction" section of the owner's manual that comes with the DR-05, it does provide "plug-in power" (sometimes incorrectly called "bias voltage").

Plug-in power can be enabled or disabled using a menu setting, as explained beginning on page 43 of the manual.

I don't have a DR-05, but I do have a DR-07. I have used it with a few different lavs and stereo stand mics, without problems. The voltage supplied to the mic is only 2.35 volts. The DR-05 voltage may be similar, but you'd need to confirm that using a DVM; I can't find it listed in the manual. This voltage is probably adequate for most electret mics, but some mics may require more voltage, especially in high-SPL environments. You'd have to check the specs for the various mics in question.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've also got a DR-05 and have used it with both types of mics. It's not picky. I prefer to use the mic that is un-powered and power it from the unit. One less thing to worry about. i set it and forget it.
Old December 8th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys

Problem solved!! I didn't know you used a recorder Don??? This is my first venture into adding a recorder during the ceremony as I do have a few priests that wander around a bit and won't have a transmitter.

Most hover quite close to the altar so my "cunning plan" was to put the Tascam on the altar as since it's a nice big surface I'll put one of my tiny AKG boundary mics on the altar too and see if the extra audio might be better than relying on the groom's mic to pick up most of the homily. Nice priests are in front of the couple giving them their "marital advice" but the really nice ones agree to do it from the reading lectern where, of course, I have a 2nd transmitter!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Chris,
Yeah I took the plunge earlier this year but it isn't a primary source. It's a backup and a jeez, I need another source for this event type of thing but I have to say it has saved my bacon a couple of times this year. Can't beat it for the money.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio