Can you recommend me some wind protection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 12th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can you recommend me some wind protection

I'm also after a pistol grip, and I've decided that I'll probably get the Rode PG2 (£45) unless I buy a wind shield that already comes with a grip.

Anyway, my one and only microphone is a Sennheiser ME66.

Here are the options I know about so far:
Rycote Softie - £77 (total price: £122)
Rode WS6 - £39 (total price: £84)
Rycote S Series - £179
Rode Blimp - £189

Obviously the latter two are going to be better, but given that I don't live in a particularly windy place, I don't think they'd be worth the extra investment for me at this stage (but obviously I might be convinced). I've seen a Youtube video of the Rode WS6 in action, and I thought it was pretty effective, so I think it would be enough for me at the moment. Is the Rycote really worth the extra money? Most of these comparisons on Youtube seem to be comparing the wind shield to no wind shield, which isn't exactly useful.
Joe Piechura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Can you recommend me some wind protection

Hi Joe, I've got the Rode WS6 and 7 after seeing the dealer demo, both are great. Use a comb to brush the hairs out,
so they do their job after being stored flat.

A tip: when you're working in the wind with your ME66, for best rejection, if possible try and position it at 90 degrees
to the direction the wind is coming from.

Cheers.
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Trustee

I've got one of these and the quality is great. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not one of the big names, but for good quality at great price, how can you do better? Blimps are fragile things no matter what price you pay for them, but you can get three of four or even five of these for the cost a name brand...and blimps cut all wind...

I've just been in touch with them re some spares because I thought I had lost a piece (as it turned out I hadn't) and their customer service was very good...and that is after me buying in 2008...

They don't come with a case, but I made a strong one out of cardboard...

60cm Blimp Windscreen Windjammer Windshield Fur Cover for Microphone Mic | eBay
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah, that's the thing that's putting me off a blimp a bit. I'm not sure I trust myself not to break it, especially considering the fact that we use motorbikes as transport a lot in Vietnam. And my mum's got to bring it over on the plane too. And as I said, I don't live in a particularly windy place. I know the S-series comes in a hard case, but still, it's going to spend more time on set out of the case.

Incidentally, brand names may seem more expensive, but I imagine they hold their value better for when you want to sell them again.
Old December 13th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Piechura View Post
I'm also after a pistol grip, and I've decided that I'll probably get the Rode PG2 (£45) unless I buy a wind shield that already comes with a grip.

Anyway, my one and only microphone is a Sennheiser ME66.

Here are the options I know about so far:
Rycote Softie - £77 (total price: £122)
Rode WS6 - £39 (total price: £84)
Rycote S Series - £179
Rode Blimp - £189

Obviously the latter two are going to be better, but given that I don't live in a particularly windy place, I don't think they'd be worth the extra investment for me at this stage (but obviously I might be convinced). I've seen a Youtube video of the Rode WS6 in action, and I thought it was pretty effective, so I think it would be enough for me at the moment. Is the Rycote really worth the extra money? Most of these comparisons on Youtube seem to be comparing the wind shield to no wind shield, which isn't exactly useful.
The best of the list is the Rycote S-series - not only does it have excellent protection it also has the best suspension on the market.

The Softie with the Softie Lyre mount is also good (same suspension principle as the S-series).

The Rycote is well worth the price and they have thoroughly researched all their products and know *why* it works - it's not another "me too" copy product and really works well.
Old December 14th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Can anyone confirm whether the S-Series comes in a protective case? The pictures seem to show it in some sort of tray, but it's not clear whether it's a proper case or not. It really is at the limit of my budget, so I don't want to have to pay for a separate case too.
Old December 14th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Trustee

My S-Series did not come with a case. I don't abuse my kit, but it does survive happily being tossed in the back of the car.

A case would only get in the way for me - I can see one being needed for transport in a plane or similar though.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hmm, the plan is to order it to my UK address and then have my mum bring it over when she comes in January. Presumably the box it ships in will be fine for plane travel? As I said, we transport stuff by motorbike a lot here, so I'd at least need some sort of bag.
Old December 14th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Knock one of these together, it's easy to make and others have copied mine.
After 3 years regular use, it's still going strong as ever ..

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ode-blimp.html

Cheers.
Old December 14th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the idea, but my Vietnamese skills are far from fluent, so merely finding the materials would probably take me a year. I also don't own any tools.

I really like the look of the S-Series, but I'm just not sure whether at this stage and in this location, it's really the best use of my money. Strong wind is pretty rare here, and since my Vietnamese skills aren't particularly great, I'm unlikely to be writing any dialogue-heavy stuff anyway. My main reason for considering it is simply that it might make sense to spend a little more now, rather than spending money twice when I want to upgrade.
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Trustee

Joe, it does come in a box, see the attached photo.

Mind you, if you really don't have strong wind, then you may get away with a mini windscreen from Rycote, or some equivalent. The S-Series and similar windshields are quite bulky if you don't need that level of protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Can you recommend me some wind protection-rycote-s-series-box.jpg  
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Piechura View Post
Hmm, the plan is to order it to my UK address and then have my mum bring it over when she comes in January. Presumably the box it ships in will be fine for plane travel? As I said, we transport stuff by motorbike a lot here, so I'd at least need some sort of bag.
Joe, is that because of price or difficulty obtaining kit direct to Vietnam? I once bought back a Bowens Travel Kit home to New Zealand after a trip to the UK, because they cost less than half the local price!
Old December 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I know B&H ship to Vietnam for a reasonable price, but I don't trust customs in this country. I've heard too many dodgy stories. And if someone's coming over anyway, I always take the opportunity to have something brought. Mainly Dairy Milk chocolate. I do have a guy who can ship stuff from America or Australia for a small premium if I desperately need something though. That way he takes the risk with customs rather than me.

Anyway, I've just gone for the cheapest options for now of the two Rodes, along with a cheap boom pole and then got the ME64 and some Sennheiser HD280 headphones. I watched a review of the Rode windscreen on Youtube and it seemed pretty decent. I can always upgrade to a blimp system later on, but I think a second microphone is a better use of my money for now, and the headphones will hopefully be a good long-term investment.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:23 AM   #14
Trustee

I have found the Wincutter products to be excellent.

Reducing wind noise on video
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:19 PM   #15
Trustee

Joe - Here's what I did for transporting the Windshield. Granted, it's not the expensive Pelican case that many use but everything in it survived being in the trunk of my car that was rear-ended. The case was our girls carry-on case (she got a new one) that fits in the overhead on a plane. It's actually a tad smaller than what airlines allow and for my gear it would be nice if it was just a tad bigger. However, with some padding (cushion material in upper right corner of photo) to prevent chafe from the Glidecam it works fine.

Another option for Windshield protection might be a tube of thinwall plastic pipe with end caps, one glued on, one loose.

This Windshield is for my ME-66 and the Windjammer fur cover fits comfortably in the case too. The Windshield is the "old style" and not the newer one that comes apart in the middle. The outside pockets of the case are good for things like XLR cables and other odds and ends.

Although most people don't use the "Conn box" with the Windshield, I opted to get one just for ease of use. Also got the new lyre suspension at the same time. The photo shows the original style suspension.

The comment about using the Windshield at right-angles to the wind is one I've heard before but forgot about so it was a good reminder. I just acquired the Windshield about four months ago and haven't had a chance to use it for what I got it for - on a sailboat. Winter has arrived.
Attached Thumbnails
Can you recommend me some wind protection-000_1962.jpg   Can you recommend me some wind protection-000_1963.jpg  

Can you recommend me some wind protection-000_1756.jpg   Can you recommend me some wind protection-000_1810.jpg  

Last edited by John Nantz; January 2nd, 2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: changed "Windjammer" to "Windshield" in a few places. This is new stuff for me so I haven't got fluent with the proper names
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio