XL1 to bone yard, can I salvage the mic? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 14th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: XL1 to bone yard, can I salvage the mic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
3.5 mm plug/ socket: tip - ground, ring 1&2 - left and right signal, can't remember which is which

2.5 mm plug/ socket: tip - +5 volts, ring - not connected
Chris, thanks for the photos. Looks like a respectable job.

I would expect the following connections:

TIP=left, RING=right, SLEEVE=ground. That's fairly standard for stereo mics (also headphones etc). I'm a bit puzzled by your designation of "ring 1 & 2" as a normal 3.5mm stereo plug has only one ring.

I'm also a bit surprised that they use the ground on the audio jack for power ground also, given that the jumper inside the camera (between circuit boards) uses five separate conductors. I will double check this before building.

By the way, can you give me a very exact centre-to-center dimension between the two plugs? That's something I don't know.

Thanks again.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #17
Trustee

Chris, Thank you for the pictures and information! The most difficult part over here would be finding the EverReady 9V with the black cat on it from the sixty's!
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #18
Trustee

Greg & Chris,

That is not 3 pin XLR.....looks like 5 pin DMX? Could we combine the left/right channels and go mono so we don't need the extra pins?

Steve
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Guess I'll leave it to one of you guys to check out those connection conundrums, my memory is pretty damn hazy, as it was at least 9 years ago.

Yep, they used signal ground as power ground, that I do remember, no biggie.

Pin denotion, well, they could (and did) basically make it up as they went, it being proprietry, no one else was getting a look in on this one, so they could put any damn signal wherever they wanted.

Best way to check it is to put two unshrouded plugs into the camera sockets and crank up the old multimeter, best way to do it, unless you have the schematics.

Well, it was sold as an "XLR", worked as an "XLR" and looks (to me) like an "XLR", so WTF, it's an "XLR".

I'll dig out the micrometer (NOT joking) and let you know the dimensions, centre to centre. I do know I had a devil of a time trying to find components to butt up against another to get there, and even then, the plug gets a bit out of shape in the process.

Yeah, interesting battery, still being sold in the UK circa 2003, hey, you use what you can get.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #20
Trustee

Steven:

I was planning to use either one 3.5mm stereo jack, or two RCA jacks, for the output from the adapter box. Either way, you could then use a standard cable to connect from the box to any unbalanced audio input. I think a 3-pin XLR would be confusing, because that normally implies a balanced signal. Since this will be unbalanced, we might as well use a connector that's normally used for that purpose.

If you think you would sometimes want a mono signal, it would probably be simpler for me to use two RCA jacks. Then if you want to combine channels, you could use a common RCA Y cable to combine the channels.

If Chris is right about non-standard pinouts on the mic's pigtail, then I would need to have the mic here to be sure the box works correctly. But the schematic (on p. 177 of the manual) shows standard connections: TIP = left, RING = right, SLEEVE = ground. So I feel fairly safe building the box to those specs.
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #21
Trustee

Greg, Lets go with the TRS 3.5 output. Did you get the e-mail I sent yesterday?

Chris, Yes, there are so damn many audio cables, and each one with it's own acronym depending on who you talk to. This is the way I see it. Cables fail a lot, especially when we are building a complex AV systems with a couple of miles worth of cable spaghetti at the tech table. So.....any cable in the system that fails instantly becomes the "WTF" cable. Same thing with mixers, anyone that has ever run live audio reinforcement knows that every mixer has an unlabeled button on it. It is the SUCK button, if you touch the SUCK button then your work sucks and your entire audience will know it instantly. Been there, Done that!

Steve
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #22
Trustee

Steve,

Yes, I got one EMail from you, and sent one EMail reply.
Old December 15th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #23
Trustee

The mail must have gone to the account that is down, makes sense, that is the address registered here, sorry.

Use my back up corporateshow at gmail . com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio