Shure FP33 mixer questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 17th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #16
Inner Circle

re: Shure FP33 mixer questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
....There is a mod in the manual to dampen the meter response to probably act more like a normal VU meter, but I didn't have a chance to do it and see. ....
This is the mod from the manual p9:

Slowing Down Output Level Meters to Approximate “True VU” Ballistics
1. Locate empty pads C302 and C303 on the top PC board, behind the power switch.
2. Solder a 150␣␣F x 6.3 V electrolytic capacitor in C302. The + lead must face the meters.
3. Solder a 150␣␣F x 6.3 V electrolytic capacitor in C303. The + lead must face the meters.
4. To slow the meter response even more, further in- crease the ␣F value of C302 and C303.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #17
Major Player

Steve and Les: Your last posts a bit over my head.

If I could, I have a few other basic questions that probably apply to not only this FP 33, but I'm guessing other mixers. Sound guy questions.

1) It looks like on the FP 33 channel input ONE with a regular (non-stereo) mic will deliver a signal to only the left (or maybe right) channel in vu/output, where as channels TWO and THREE can be linked so that they carry a signal to both left and right vu meter/output.(?)

On the FP 33 output to camera xlr connectors there is a left and a right channel. To record to the camera I'm guessing that you need a separate cable for each to run from the left and right channels on camera, resulting in left and right audio tracks on the video side of things.(?) Most cameras I know of have at least two XLR inputs.

2) If you record with just one mic, would you use input number one and then out put to a single cable to camera, or is the preferred way to go to a linked (Input Two and three) and out put using the dual cable L and R to camera?

I know in post, even if you have recording something to just a left or right channel there is an option to duplicate that track so you have sound from both channels.

Thanks you so much, and for now everyone have a great holiday sans my beginner questions. You have all been most helpful.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post

If I could, I have a few other basic questions that probably apply to not only this FP 33, but I'm guessing other mixers. Sound guy questions.

1) It looks like on the FP 33 channel input ONE with a regular (non-stereo) mic will deliver a signal to only the left (or maybe right) channel in vu/output, where as channels TWO and THREE can be linked so that they carry a signal to both left and right vu meter/output.(?)
Not quite. Each of the mic channels has a pan control that lets it be routed to either the left output channel, the right, or somewhere in between. Normally each channel has its own independent gain control and limiter as well. The link switch alters this so the Channel 2 gain and pan controls are disabled with the Channel 3 gain control taking over yo increase or decrease the two channels levels in unison while the Channel 3 pan control becomes a left/right balance control. The limiters on both channel are similarly linked so they work together.

Quote:
On the FP 33 output to camera xlr connectors there is a left and a right channel. To record to the camera I'm guessing that you need a separate cable for each to run from the left and right channels on camera, resulting in left and right audio tracks on the video side of things.(?) Most cameras I know of have at least two XLR inputs.
Yep
Quote:

2) If you record with just one mic, would you use input number one and then out put to a single cable to camera, or is the preferred way to go to a linked (Input Two and three) and out put using the dual cable L and R to camera?
For a single mic use channel 1 or 2 or 3, it doesn't matter. If you use 2 or 3, don't link them. You can pan the channel you use hard left and it will go out the left channel only, hard right to go out the right channel only, or pan center and it will go equally to both. Take your pick
Old December 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:

ALL 3 inputs are mono inputs that can be panned L-R, inputs 2/3 can be linked if needed to be used with a stereo mic so one gain pot adjusts the level of both L and R at the same time

A better way of doing it is to get a 'break away' cable, this single cable will carry both L and R signals as well as a return signal back from the camera so you can actually monitor what is coming off the camera this way you can pick up any problems while your doing the shoot (like clipping or distortion etc.)

I know in post, even if you have recording something to just a left or right channel there is an option to duplicate that track so you have sound from both channels.

The 'standard' camera track setup for the network I do some freelance work for is....
Tk 1. normally a shotgun mic for interviews or FX or guest radio mics etc
Tk 2. Journo's radio mic (isolated)

For commercial shoots,
Tk 1. If using just one mic (full level sound)
Tk 2. same mic as what is being fed to Tk 1 BUT -3db lower in level as a safety track.

or split tracks for ease of post production.

Very rarely will you use the stereo linking on the mixer.

Thanks you so much, and for now everyone have a great holiday sans my beginner questions. You have all been most helpful.

Jonathan
The actual track set up is up to you, I normally use input 1 as my main mic so my hand doesn't cover the meters.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Steve and Les: Your last posts a bit over my head....
Meter ballistics are the behavior of the meter in terms of how it reacts to changing levels. A jittery meter that bounces so fast you can't tell what's going on is of little value. A meter that is less sensitive is easier to see and react to. The FP33 is kinda sensitive. Unfortunately, changing it's behavior isn't just flipping a dip switch (as per the manual).

As for your other questions, it's good you are trying to master the device. Once you do so, you can configure it a number of ways. The gain control and limiter determines the gain. It's lo-cut filter it's low end. Again all applied to that channel. Your pan controls then just determines which output channel (left or right) the input goes to.

Sometimes I mix 2 inputs on the FP33 and sent it into one camera channel and then have a wireless lav of the main speaker directly on the other camera channel. This lets me unhook a mixer/tripod setup and still have the main speaker recording. YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #21
Trustee

Re: Shure FP33 mixer questions

Quote:
I think I am really disliking my stereo mic. There seems to be a "dead" spot if you talk directly in front of the mic. However there is noticeable gain when shifting to the right or left of center. BTW- mic was given to me as a present a long time ago.

So if I speak into either the right or left side of mic, levels seem to be better.
No, there is probably nothing wrong with your microphone. You appear to be using it incorrectly. That microphone REQUIRES using the proper Y-cable to break out the separate Left and Right microphone outputs. Feeding this microphone into a standard XLR input is guaranteed to give you very wierd results such as you are seeing. If you use the proper Y-cable with this microphone you will have a completely different opinion of it.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #22
Major Player

I see that Guitar Center sells a Y cable connector for under $20. 1 xlr male to 2- xlr female (to go into mixer)

Live Wire XLR(F) - Dual XLR(M) Y Cable | GuitarCenter

With this set up I would be using two of my three channels on the FP 33. Would I be gaining anything different than if I just plug my one xlr cable into one channel and then panning to center on that channel?

Also, if you think it is a good idea to have this adapter, will it work with my exist Mogami mic xlr cable, or is the entire run a special cable?

Thanks Richard!!!!

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #23
Trustee

I was unable to identify that product on the Live Wire website. There is no information disclosed about how it is wired, but I would wager 100:1 that it is NOT wired correctly for what you need. Repeating: this is a NON STANDARD wiring and you cannot use commonly-available adapters with it.

It is simple enough to have a cable made for this from a vendor like Redco for approximately the same price as the one you cited.

But note that it is ONLY the adapter that is special. You can STILL use your Mogami cable (or any other mic cable) as an extension, but you must have the special Y-cable L/R break-out adapter at the mixer end.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio