Using a stereo mic- are they your choice as a sound pro? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #46

Re: Using a stereo mic- are they your choice as a sound pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wood View Post
I would also like to add my thanks to the contributors to this post, for a very informative lesson in the use of stereo mics - it certainly cleared up a lot of doubts on the best practices for me!

I bought a Rode NT4 last year, encouraged by a well known blogger, for use in improving interviews - one mic each for the subject, and for me, but can see now why my success has been limited!
Does it work well as an on camera mic?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #47
Inner Circle

"HOWEVER: I was thinking that in a pinch, one could use the AT 822 Stereo for an interview if you had two people placed at the correct L/R angles to the mic. One person feeding mostly into chan 1 and the other mostly into chan 2, setting the pan appropriately of coarse, also allowing for some leeway in post."

Jonathan,

Test your surmises into the theoretical as you will. At some point, sooner than later, you'll find that you also need a theoretical van and theoretical production assistant to carry all of your theoretical possibilities.

The practical world is different. When I'm hired to do sound, I don't show up with every piece of gear I own. I ask what the job is, what the circumstances are and bring what's needed with a little backup.

Carry on!

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 12:13 PM   #48
Major Player

Hi Ty,

Theoretically clients should be willing to pay to have things done right. I know that having the right crew would be life in the production world at it's most awesome.

BTW- I just ordered your book "Audio Bootcamp Field Guide". I look forward to digging into that once I finish and review Jay Rose's book.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio