DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   AT899 replacement mic? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/513030-at899-replacement-mic.html)

Margaret Goodwin December 29th, 2012 08:21 PM

AT899 replacement mic?

I have an AT899 lavalier microphone (not wireless). I believe the wire has been damaged because, ever since a shoot where a dog climbed over it, it produces intermittent static depending on the position of the wire.

The wire is permanently attached to the microphone, and connects to the AT8537 power module (which comes with the microphone) by way of a TA3 female connector. I'd like to replace just the microphone & wire, because the power module is fine. However, I can't find the microphone for sale separately.

They sell the AT8537 power module separately for about $125, and they sell various versions of the microphone with connectors for other power modules, for about $135, and one version of the mic with no connector at all, just a bare wire. But I can't find a version of the microphone with the TA3 connector for the power module that comes with it.

It seems strange that they would sell the power module separately, but not the microphone to connect to it. I'd rather not have to pay for another power module, since the one I have works fine. Does anybody know if/how/where I can get the microphone without the power module?

Thanks!

Rick Reineke December 30th, 2012 09:54 AM

Re: AT899 replacement mic?

Many companies including AT sell their lav mics in a 'pigtail' version. (tinned leads, no connector)
The usual suspect pro audio retailers could get it for you if not already in stock
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352194-REG/Audio_Technica_AT899C_AT899C_Sub_Miniature_Omnidirectional.html

Jay Massengill December 30th, 2012 10:19 AM

I would contact Audio-Technica directly if you need the mic with the original long-length cable and don't want to solder a replacement connector. They probably have the mic as a "replacement part" but don't sell it through their retail distribution system.
Or you could sell your existing power supply since surely someone has lost theirs, and find the best deal on a totally new AT899 package.

Margaret Goodwin December 30th, 2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Massengill (Post 1770248)
I would contact Audio-Technica directly if you need the mic with the original long-length cable and don't want to solder a replacement connector. They probably have the mic as a "replacement part" but don't sell it through their retail distribution system.

Thanks, Jay. I'll try this. I was hoping to get it before the end of the year for tax purposes, but I guess it's a little late for that if I have to special order it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1770246)
Many companies including AT sell their lav mics in a 'pigtail' version. (tinned leads, no connector)

Thanks, Rick. They do have a "pigtail" version, but I have no idea what to do with that. I have no tools and no technical expertise in this area.

I guess I'll just contact Audio-Technica and see if they sell it as a replacement part. Thanks!

John Nantz December 30th, 2012 01:48 PM

This is grasping at straws, I know, but I found one for sale on the Craigs list Phoenix AZ web site at audio technica at899 advertised for $100.

But you're right about one thing, it seems odd, nay, make that ridiculous, that the mic isn't available by itself.

Margaret Goodwin December 30th, 2012 04:30 PM

Thanks, John. From the photo, it looks like this includes the power module. For that price, it's probably used. I wouldn't want to get a used one because it might have worse problems than the one I have.

But thank you for looking that up. I really appreciate the helpfulness of people on this forum!

Rick Reineke December 31st, 2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nantz (Post 1770279)
it seems odd, nay, make that ridiculous, that the mic isn't available by itself.

Most lav mic elements are permanently molded to the cable and there is no easy/economical way to replace the mic head. (been down that road with Trams) Furthermore if AT has a "replacement mic head", it's likely the pigtail version of the mic anyway. IMO, your best option, other than a complete replacement is to find someone to solder the 'new' pigtail version to your existing connector/power module.

Margaret Goodwin December 31st, 2012 02:52 PM

Thanks, Rick. It isn't the mic head I want to replace, though; it's actually the wire. But, since the wire is permanently attached to the mic head, I need to replace the whole thing.

I'm OK with that. I just don't want to have to replace the power module, too, because the power module I have is perfectly good.

Les Wilson December 31st, 2012 02:56 PM

If AT is like Sennheiser, calling them up is the way to go. I had the same problem with a Senny ME-2 and for about half the price of a new one, I sent the bad one to them and the sent a replacement. Maybe AY will do the same.

Rick Reineke December 31st, 2012 05:52 PM

If AT is like Sennheiser, calling them up is the way to go"
-- that sounds too easy.. but there you go, Let us know what transpires.
Good luck and have good New Year... Cheers

Margaret Goodwin December 31st, 2012 07:03 PM

I called them this afternoon. They will not sell the mic with the TA3 connection without the power module. They're afraid people will try to use it with an XLR-TA3 adapter which could damage the mic (because the power module steps down the power).

So, even though they sell the power module and all the other parts separately, they will not sell the mic separately, even as a replacement part.

Their suggestion was to buy the version with no connector, and mail it to their service depatrment to have them install a connector. Of course, the cost to do that is almost as much as buying it with the power module.

I'm very disappointed in Audio Technica. They don't seem to look at things from the customer's point of view. Even though they have the part and easily could sell it, they won't because they're afraid somebody will use it improperly.

I probably won't buy another Audio Technica micropone in the future. It's too bad because I like their product.

John Nantz January 1st, 2013 07:58 PM

This is in regard to my post #5 about an AT899 advertised for sale in Phoenix on Craigs List. Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd enquire about it. Well..... this may be a case of "Beware". The guy doesn't use his last name but uses the first and last name of someone with a Yahoo email address that is different from his.

Again, just for the heck of it (got lots of time on my hands today) I thought I'd do a search and see what I come up with. Surprise! Or maybe not? The search quickly showed someone with the same name as his email address that was arrested in Phoenix on December 19 for breaking and entering and for burglary. Hmmm.....

The web site says he was just arrested and doesn't say if he's in jail or not but it appears like he isn't. The site also says that individuals are innocent until proven guilty. So, like the warning says, be careful with dealings on CL.

Greg Miller January 3rd, 2013 05:34 AM

Margaret,

Don't you know anybody locally who knows how to solder? If so, buy the pigtail version, buy a connector, and have the local shop do the rest.

Or else: can you see the damaged part of the cable, or do you just know it's damaged because of the static/noise? If you can see the damage, and if it's not too close to the capsule, the cable could perhaps be repaired, by soldering and using some heat shrink insulation. This would leave a visible splice but if it's at a point of the cable that would be concealed anyway, at least it would be useable.

Surprisingly small cable can be repaired, with patience. I have already repaired completely severed coaxial cable on an XM satellite antenna, which is about the same physical size as lav cable. It worked fine, and that's carrying a signal in the gigaHertz range. Admittedly, it's difficult to make a splice in a way that will still give you 100% shielding, and there will be a bulge; but if you're opposed to the other options, it's perhaps better than throwing the mic in the trash.