DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sound Professionals You Should Know. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/513449-sound-professionals-you-should-know.html)

Jonathan Levin January 12th, 2013 08:36 PM

Sound Professionals You Should Know.

As a photographer and video guy, I look at photo, directorial and DP credits on everything. So my question for you is who are the Kubricks, Lumet, Coppola, Speilberg, et. al, of the sound world. I've taken a keen interest since my indoctrination of audio.

Thanks

Jonathan

Trevor Dennis January 12th, 2013 09:40 PM

Re: Sound Professionals You Should Know.

I don't know if Oscar winning Michael Hopkins counts. He worked with Peter Jackson on the Lord of the Rings movies. He was sadly in the news here at the beginning of the year after drowning in a rafting accident. We have a lot of drowning accidents here. It is the biggest killer of people who wander the wilderness tracks for instance, because the massive rainfall causes rivers to swell so quickly.

Oscar winning sound man Michael Hopkins drowns

Gary Nattrass January 13th, 2013 03:25 AM

Sound is a lot more complicated and can take a lot more time so it tends to be a team effort lead by a sound designer or supervisor, we also tend to have smaller ego's so usually credit the whole team involved.

James Kuhn January 13th, 2013 11:02 AM

Doug Oade, Ty Ford, Gary Nattrass and others. I suppose that whole 'Oscar' things means something, too. Heh, heh! Just teasing about the 'Oscar' thing, but the collective audio wisdom on this Forum is pretty impressive.

Regards,

J.

Jonathan Levin January 13th, 2013 11:04 AM

Trevor.

I read about Michael Hopkins last week. Young guy too.

Gary- interesting point. When I did a search for "movie credits" (Wiki) it seems the studios used to "Sound Recording". I'm also looking at terms like "Sound Designer" (which maybe post prod?), "Sound recordist"and "Sound Editor", which also sounds like post.

Obviously much more goes into sound than just the input. Thus the reason for video post production and sound production studios. And foley, and sound effects.

I guess my question would be who would be to sound what a DP is to picture. Maybe no easy answer, and can't compare. Just curious.

Jonathan

Gary Nattrass January 13th, 2013 12:48 PM

There will be sound recordists or production mixers, boom op' s and sound assistants for location.

sound or dubbing editors, foley artists and recorders, sound designers, dubbing or re- recording mixers and even EDL wranglers to name a few as you may have a crew of a few or many depending on the production!

In the USA most films are mixed or dubbed using several people and three person dubbing or re- recording is quite common, in the UK we tend to just have a dubbing mixer and an assistant with others for ADR, foley and sound editing to prep the dialogue, sound effects and music tracks!

Richard Crowley January 13th, 2013 01:07 PM

In some ways sound is like picture and in other ways it is different.

As others here have mentioned sound is usually a team effort with perhaps dozens or scores of people with critical contributions to producing the final tracks.

However picture is the same way. You see awards to directors or cinematographers, but the director or camera operator (or producer for that matter) would be nowhere without something to aim the camera at. And that means casting, location, lighting, set dressing, art direction, etc. etc. ad nauseum. And increasingly picture is becoming more like sound where so much of the "picture" is virtual (CGI) and created from whole cloth completely in post-production and never passed through a camera lens.

The last 10 minutes of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" were the credit roll(!)

Brian P. Reynolds January 13th, 2013 04:21 PM

Here is a local sound guy I did some work with many years ago and would fit into the theme of the thread....

Film artist dusts off sound skills - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Hollywood gone bush - Yahoo!7 TV