DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Best wireless kit for UK & Europe? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/513538-best-wireless-kit-uk-europe.html)

Syeed Ali January 16th, 2013 11:17 AM

Best wireless kit for UK & Europe?

I've been using the Sennheiser G3 kits for the last few years in the UK and on mainland Europe.

With the UK's change to Channel 38, I've decided to keep the existing G3's and use them for mainland Europe and get something else for the UK.

Before I get another 2 sets of (Channel 38) G3's, I was wondering if there is a better wireless kit out there.

I often use 2 lavs so I will need to attach 2 receivers to the camera.

I also use a transmitter plug for the handheld mic.

Any recommendations?

Ideally I'd like a system that has a single receiver that can handle 2 wireless lavs and I can use everywhere. Does it exist?

Thanks

Gary Nattrass January 16th, 2013 12:36 PM

Re: Best wireless kit for UK & Europe?

I am sure our resident expert will pipe in soon but in the meantime you can still use ch70 in the UK if your current G3 radio mics have it!

John Willett January 17th, 2013 06:14 AM

The Sennheiser G3 is still the very best value for money, giving high quality at a reasonable price.

The 863-865MHz (in Ch.70) are legal, licence-free, all over Europe including the UK (and will remain so).

The Ch.38 frequencies are UK *only* and must not be used elsewhere as they are radio astronomy frequencies. However, the other frequencies either side of Ch.38 on the G3 "GB" version *are* legal in the USA and Canada.

Other makes to look at are "Audio Limited" who are normally the equipment of choise to professional sound recordists in the UK. They also do an affordable range and are very helpful.

Yo have to have a separate receiver for every transmitter - it's the law of physics - though some people do put two receivers into a single body.

Paul Cronin January 17th, 2013 08:18 AM

Syeed, It all depends how much you want to spend and how critical sound is to the production. I have owned Sennheiser G2 and then G3 with OK success. Then I upgraded to the Sennheiser 2000 w/B6 mic which is a nice step up and now my backup. I found with all of those systems I get too much crackling and could not solve it with the help of some very talented audio people. So I tested then purchased the Lectrosonic SRB (double receiver) Block 470 and two MM400 (waterproof transmitters) w/B6 mics. It is a huge step up in sound quality and drop pin silent. I use these all over the US and the tropics and look forward to years of great sound when I can't go hard wire.

Just my recent experience and options I chose to add to your mix. We all have to get what fits the budget and job so I hope you find the best path.

Paul R Johnson January 17th, 2013 01:57 PM

I'm running 12 series 2000s at the moment, and they're rock solid - not an issue after 69 shows so far. The 3 pin plugs are better than the 3.5mm versions on G2/G3, but damn fiddly to fit. They're around 3 times the price of G3, and the only real difference, bar the socket, is slightly improved RF performance. If you had interference/crackling, that you couldn't solve, I suspect something was wrong - interference performance on these (on the UK GB band) has been impressive, despite an RF busy environment - walkie talkies, cellphones and comms systems all close to the receivers.

Paul Cronin January 17th, 2013 02:09 PM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. Great to hear you have had no problems with the Sennheiser 2000 system. The 2000 was a big step up from the G3 when it came to the crackle problem, but still was there at times. We went through a few replacements and they always said nothing was wrong with our units. So then I hooked up with two great broadcast audio shops and they experienced the same problem. So after four years I decided it was not worth the trouble and figured I would go for the best. For me it has been a great move.

We shoot outside 95% of the time and it is never a controlled environment, always outside interference everywhere, so not easy for a wireless system. When we can go wired we do but that is only about 2-3% of the time. We used the G2, G3, and 2000 on 200 productions so not like they not did work just made post a pain. I have to say the Lectrosonic systems are a huge improvement.

Maybe is it just the US locations I have been and in the UK it is different. Or maybe we just shoot in the wrong spots for those systems but at least I have solved my wireless audio problem.

John Willett January 17th, 2013 03:19 PM

When you talk "best" you talk Sennheiser 9000 series, 5000 series and 3000 series, you talk Audio Limited and, maybe, Micron and Shure top-end stuff.

Lectro is big in the US, but not really in the UK at the moment.

When it comes to professional sound recordists in the UK, Audio Limited has been the no.1 choice for years with Sennheiser evolution systems being used for back-up and the tight budget jobs.

Paul Cronin January 17th, 2013 03:20 PM

That good you know what is best for your customers. I guess it all comes to location and opinion.

Syeed Ali January 17th, 2013 06:36 PM

Thanks for all the information. It's very helpful.

Had a look at the Audio Ltd equipment (thanks for the link John), especially the "Audio Envoy En2 DX2 - DUAL True Diversity Receiver Kit PRO with Tram TR50" which has a 2 in 1 receiver.

How much better are the Audio Ltd kits compared to the Senny G3's as it's working out about £2,000 more expensive.

If they are substantially better then I may have to get them as the majority of filming I'm doing this year is with wireless mic's. I also have a pair of Sanken COS 11 lavalier mics as well.

Thanks agin.

Gary Nattrass January 18th, 2013 02:05 AM

For an extra £2k I think I would be contacting the dealers to test them for myself rather than relying on forum information.

Personally I would rather have more channels of G3 than a few of an expensive radio mic system as if I need that I would hire it in.

John Willett January 18th, 2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syeed Ali (Post 1773828)
Thanks for all the information. It's very helpful.

Had a look at the Audio Ltd equipment (thanks for the link John), especially the "Audio Envoy En2 DX2 - DUAL True Diversity Receiver Kit PRO with Tram TR50" which has a 2 in 1 receiver.

How much better are the Audio Ltd kits compared to the Senny G3's as it's working out about £2,000 more expensive.

If they are substantially better then I may have to get them as the majority of filming I'm doing this year is with wireless mic's. I also have a pair of Sanken COS 11 lavalier mics as well.

Thanks agin.

Give Audio Ltd. a ring and talk to Kish - he is very helpful.

Audio Ltd. are in High Wycombe (round the corner from Sennheiser) so it's easy to pop along the M40 to J4 and give them a visit if you want to see for yourself.

Another one that's maybe worth considering is Audio Wireless - this is a new company run by Aldo who used to be *the* man at Micron. So, although it's a new company, he certainly has the expertise.

John

Syeed Ali January 18th, 2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 1773875)
For an extra £2k I think I would be contacting the dealers to test them for myself rather than relying on forum information.

Personally I would rather have more channels of G3 than a few of an expensive radio mic system as if I need that I would hire it in.

Been editing footage today where we used a G3 and the audio came out quite good. I'd be expecting quite a bit for the extra £££.

Definitely have to try it out first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 1773898)
Give Audio Ltd. a ring and talk to Kish - he is very helpful.

Audio Ltd. are in High Wycombe (round the corner from Sennheiser) so it's easy to pop along the M40 to J4 and give them a visit if you want to see for yourself.

Another one that's maybe worth considering is Audio Wireless - this is a new company run by Aldo who used to be *the* man at Micron. So, although it's a new company, he certainly has the expertise.

John

Thanks for the contact info.

Turns out they are just around the corner from where a friend of mine lives so will try and pop over in the next few weeks.