Recording level in Win 7 and Win 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:14 AM   #1
Trustee

Recording level in Win 7 and Win 8

I am using a Presonus Firestudio Mobile (Firewire) for recording my voice overs with a Rode NTG2 and NT1-A, both on Phantom power and am finding the recording level very low in Win 7 (32 bit). I have to set the recording knob to the 3 o'clock position to get a decent level, whereas on Win 8 (64 bit) I get a decent level at the 11 o'clock position. I need to switch between the two OS for tutorials etc, but find it a nuisance to have to keep re-setting the recording values. Does anyone have an answer as to why this problem exists. Both OS systems have the recording levels set to 100%.

Software used Adobe Audition CS5 & CS6 and Camtasia 8
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:10 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Recording level in Win 7 and Win 8

No replies?

I have just come to the conclusion that Win 8 & Win 7 32 bit uses different sound level settings to Win 8 & Win 7 64 bit. On the 64 bit versions I get peaks of -6 db with my default record level settings, using the same setting on the 32 bit systems I get -36db. I haven't managed to work out why, but the work around is to change the recording level on my Firestudio mobile to nearly maximum. unless someone has a solution?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:59 AM   #3
Trustee

Sounds like one is set to line level and the other is set to mic level.

I use MAC but in the preferences for the Op system you can select line or mic level as an input!

Maybe the same when going from the two different OP systems and also if it is an interface it may be possible like on my blackmagic card to select pro +4 or domestic -10 levels.

Also check your drivers are up to date as it may be using different ones for each OP system.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:23 AM   #4
Trustee

Line/Mike levels, that's a good point, but both systems are using the same settings. All my drivers are up to date on both systems. I guess the only real solution is to use the 64 bit OS, but some of the applications I still use are only 32 bit compatible.

Thanks for your feedback. I have sent the same question to Presonus (manufacturer of the Firesudio) but have not received a reply from them as yet.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I would surmise a 'settings' or driver issue. While I don't yet have Win-8, (nor do I plan to in the near future) I haven't heard or read about any significant audio level differences. 30dB is 'huge' (like mic/line) and certainly would the center of discussion in the pro audio world..
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio