Best choice for ew 100 g2 mic.Suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 25th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Trustee

Best choice for ew 100 g2 mic.Suggestions?

Hola guys,

any suggestions on the the best choice to capture the best audio in the interviews from sennheiser ew 100 g2 radio mic? I was thinking to change the little cap (me 6) and go for the Me2. I can't afford the mk40.
Do you think me2 isa good choice?
Many thanks guys
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Best choice for ew 100 g2 mic.Suggestions?

Marcus,

Although it may be beyond your budget I've been using a Rode Lavalier with my Senny radio mic systems for the best part of a year and I'm very pleased with it. Much better than the lav mics that were typically supplied with the older Sennheiser GEW 100 G2 series.

Getting good audio is often an important trick to successful film making/saves a ton of headaches in post (assuming you use the gear correctly). Don't skimp on the quality of audio gear you buy, that's my advice.
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I have used the ME-2 all over the world basically because I didn't know any better. I found it rugged and consistent. When a wire got pinched, you can send it to Sennheiser and they'll send you a refurbished one back for 50% the price of new and they'll refurbish yours for the next person. I like that it doesn't end up in the landfill.

There are better lavs but like everything, better goes with paying more. Do some searching here in the Audio section of DVinfo for sennheiser lavalier and you'll find some recommendations on other lavs.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

There are a lot of decent lavs out there in the $100-250 USD range. (the ME2 ain't one of them) I have been using and recommending the Oscar SoundTech mics, (search this forum) however I don't know if they ship to Spain... contact OST to find out and request a price sheet. Their 801, 802 and TL 40 sound good and are affordable. In any case I would suggest, getting a lav with plug in Phantom Power XLR adapter module for the Sennheiser locking 3.5mm plug, so the mic can also be used in a hard-wired configuration for sit-down interviews and such... A low cost $20 mic cable is usually better than even the best wireless.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Trustee

Guys i'm writing your suggestions, what do you think about this?
Somebody was suggesting me even this
BLACK 'PRO' CARDIOID TIE CLIP LAPEL LAVALIER MICROPHONE FOR SENNHEISER BODYPACK | eBay
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Trustee

I use the stock ME2 as well but have several of these as spares and low cost wired lavsURL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=230917972917

cheap as chips and they actually dont sound too bad either.
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Trustee

Depends whether you regard your lavs as "consumables" or not - I still have a use for the ME-2s.

The Sennheiser UK - MKE 2-ew Gold is much better than the supplied ME-2. I found a very noticeable difference in audio quality when I started using them. Small but very rugged construction and comes with the correct connector fitted.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Trustee

numerous years of doing childrens TV shows with gunge and mud means a £11 mic has it' s uses when it' s my money buying the kit! ;0)

also never had a producer or director even ask what mic is being used so long as it' s small or burried out of sight for their pretty pictures!
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #9
Trustee

That's a coincidence - it was children I had in mind when I mentioned "consumables!"

Fortunately I suffer from much less of that kind of event myself now. I had a few lavs which died in agony from the little varmints twisting the cables or pulling the connectors out.

When we hired in sound for big theatre shows the contractor was always appalled at the number of spares he went through in a week.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #10
Trustee

At tyne tees TV in the 80' s we always got an extra bill from.better sound for the cleaning and missing parts and an interesting memo after a well known comic jumped in a skip of dead fish!
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #11
Trustee

The Me2 is omnidirectional right? Is it better than a supercardioid for old people interviews?
Thx
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Inner Circle

IMO, the only use for cardioid lavs is with a PA system, where feedback is an issue. Cardioid lavs are subject to severe volume dropouts, where the wearer turns their head otherwise goes off axis. They are also much more prone to wind, cable noise and other issues. An Omni lav is a better choice.. period.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Oddly - the PA people hate cardioids just as much. Musicals use omnis, mainly because aiming a cardioid is so hit and miss. They can be useful, but, my inventory is currently 100% omnis!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I avoid using cardiods. Omnis are the right choice for your interviews. I noticed Jay Leno's Garage uses Sennheiser wireless and his lav looks like an me-2:
Volvo Polestar S60 Concept - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #15
Major Player

I agree with what has been said above.

Omnis are the only choice.

Cardioid tie mics should never have been invented.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio