which way to go with audio and wireless - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 31st, 2013, 05:45 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: which way to go with audio and wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Compared to the other Sennheiser wireless lines or Lectrosonics or Zaxcom the G3 are definitely entry-level, budget systems. Good professional level wireless doesn't come cheap.
But the Sennheiser G3 sound quality is definitely very professional (especially when used with a better microphone than the one supplied with the kit) - also in a test a year or two ago the G3 had the best range of all the more expensive professional systems, beating Audio Ltd., Lectro, Zaxcom, Micron, etc...
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:45 AM   #17
Regular Crew

wow, John thanks very much, thats a clear explanation and helps me greatly
Phil Gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:17 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
But the Sennheiser G3 sound quality is definitely very professional (especially when used with a better microphone than the one supplied with the kit) - also in a test a year or two ago the G3 had the best range of all the more expensive professional systems, beating Audio Ltd., Lectro, Zaxcom, Micron, etc...
Yes indeed ... was trying to say the G3 marks the entry into professional level wireless and that most other pro-level units were even more expensive, hence for professional grade gear the G3 is a bargain.
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:20 AM   #19
Inner Circle

"Rick, so you would feed directly into the camera?"
Yes- But test it out before a gig. And DO NOT use the camera's (or any recorder's) AGC.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gadd View Post
I am trying to improve my workflow so I can capture interviews more professionally indoors and outdoors. I am not sure whether to purchase the Sennheiser EW 112-p G3 and how that will work in my current setup.
I have a G2 system and it's very nice IF your camera has XLR inputs. If your camera has an unbalanced 1/8" input then you will likely get some noise. I believe that the noise is caused by the receiver's output impedance (600 Ohms). I have observed that mics, mixers, etc. with an output impedance of 500 Ohms - 600 Ohms are noisy, whereas lower impedance mics (150 - 200 Ohms) are quiet.

Other than the noise issue, which you may not find objectionable (or even noticeable if you're shooting outside) I highly recommend the mic. The omnidirectional capsule sounds very good and I personally do not like having an XLR cord from my camera directly attached the interview subject.

If you're shooting outside wind noise can be an issue, so pick up a fuzzy wind screen and you'll be set.
Guy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys for all the help

Its a slippery slope audio, being a 'musician', Audio has a big place in my heart but it comes at a cost. So far I have bought:-

Rode videomic pro
Rode Lavalier and extension plus mini furry wind jammer
4 different Rode connectors
Sure beltpack and lavaliere (I thought I could use this with my beta 87 slx series, doh)
Zoom H4N

About to buy:
senneheiser EW112 G3
Rode NTG3 (possible)

The Pro's must have a very happy bank manager because doesnt like me at present lol
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #22
Trustee

I agree with everyone else that you can't go wrong with sennheiser G3 as a radio mic set-up.

If budget is tight you may wish to consider an Audio Technica 875R small shotgun with a rode PG2 pistol grip and a WS6 softie but if you can go to the NTG3 that is even better.

The 875R's are at a bargain price on e-bay at the moment: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-BRAND-NE...item53eeeb9887

Rode PG2 and WS6 will cost you around a further £90.
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks, another forum member has mentioned this exact mic, thats a quarter of the cost of the ntg3, is it a quarter of the quality though?
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks, another forum member has mentioned this exact mic, thats a quarter of the cost of the ntg3, is it a quarter of the quality though?
In a word NO, OK it isn't an NTG3 or a 416 but for general purpose use it does the job very well, I have five now and have used them on everything from indie drama to full broadcast and they are perfectly acceptable, I would not say the same for the NTG1 and 2 though as I thought they were lacking:

Example of a boomed AT875R straight into the back of my camera here:

All the dialogue on that was done with one AT875R
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Gary, thanks... Nothing wrong with that audio, sounds great

Never boomed a mic before as I lays work lone BUT I'm realising fast its nt a business where you can work autonomously.. :-)
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #26
Major Player

I loved the movie Gary, but what happened to the Taylor boys?
Old February 6th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Dennis View Post
I loved the movie Gary, but what happened to the Taylor boys?
Ah yes well that's the mystery all I know is that the scarecrows are very much alive and living in the producers dining room! ;0)

It was a tribute to Hammer horror films in the 70,'s hence the very naturalistic fx and naff acting,it was shot in November and the only bad day of weather was the last pick-up day when we shot the big zoom on mr scarecrow and the wind blew his head just at the right time!

Last edited by Gary Nattrass; February 7th, 2013 at 02:15 AM.
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Great video, sad story to follow it though, lost my mum to the same disease on christmas eve a few years ago..

GOOD NEWS... got that AT875R for £95 from that link. Any ideas about a windshield (do you need a cover for indoor use?)
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Great video, sad story to follow it though, lost my mum to the same disease on christmas eve a few years ago..

GOOD NEWS... got that AT875R for £95 from that link. Any ideas about a windshield (do you need a cover for indoor use?)
It comes with a bag, std mic clip and foam windshield which should be OK for indoor but for outdoor use I would get a rode PG2 with a WS6 softie!

For £95 there isn't a shotgun mic on the market to match it and as said I now have five of them as my std gen purpose mic's.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mum, I also lost my partner Catherine and my Mum and Dad to cancer but nothing prepares you for the suffering a 12 year old has to go through.

I deleted the post re it as in hindsight I didn't like it being on the forum and for people to think Dave and Matthews film was related to it.
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Never offended me Gary, everything is related or linked in some way in this world, hence why we made films and videos to tell the stores of life :-)

Great I am on the case to find a bargain as we speak

PS shall i go for what you said or go for this for a few more pennies?

Phil Gadd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio