Static damaged OST lav mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Static damaged OST lav mic?

Pretty sure that's what happend. I was sitting in one of those plasticy stacking chairs adjusting the position for an interview and sound checking the overhead mic, then got up and picked up my wireless lav that was sitting by my camera to do a sound check.

Nada. Switched lav mic back to the one Sennheiser sends along with their G3 packs, and it works fine. Tried the same OST on my other Senn system. Nada. Switched that one back the stock Lav, works fine.

NO physical damage to the mic, no cord pull etc... this was the third time out with that OST.

I switched out the chairs as a precaution.

Anyone have similar experience?
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Static damaged OST lav mic?

i would assume they should be pretty impervious to static damage; its an on-talent mic, and wool, polyester, carpets, chairs, etc all generate static electricity. If that was the case, and static electricity was a risk, i assume there would be a warning and many, many more threads/results about it, which i could not find with a quick google search.

I haven't used lav's much, but i have rebuilt a few PC's or had the bare motherboard on a desk and was working on it/touching it while wearing polyester shirt and polyester fleece sweater on (i have a full head of dense hair and i can feel when said shirts build up a charge on my scalp) without killing them. Same with PC parts like HDD's, graphic cards, RAM, or one of my old DSLR's i decided to disassemble. I assume you mean one of those all-plastic curved bucket seats like they have in lunchrooms or kindergarten classes that you can really get your static on with. Interference and a crackle i would expect, but your mic may just have died for other reasons. try disassembling it and use a multimeter to isolate the problem connection (this is from an automotive electronics and general electronics amateurs' diagnosis background).

I may be entirely wrong, but static has yet to kill anything under my 'knife', even with explicit warnings and anti-static bags or wristbands denoted as necessary.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Major Player

I would assume that as well, but it was working earlier that afternoon, and suddenly stopped without trauma. The only thing that changed was the static charge when I picked up the mic...
It may have nothing to do with each other, but it may.
Regardless I think I'll be a bit more cautious to discharge static buildup on something a bit less sensitive.
Old February 5th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Major Player

i find my assistants' earlobes work great. or pretty much anyone within arms' length.

seriously though i would imagine those static wristbands may help, or running water.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Major Player

Lightstands, tripods (not the camera!) etc from now on!
Ordered two new countryman b6's If it wasn't static, I don't want another lav from OST that spontaneously quits.
p
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Contact Dave, OST's customer service is outstanding, I'm sure they will take care of any issue.
While the B6 is a great mic, it ain't very versatile and have their own pro and cons. I have two and rarely bring them out, while my Trams, OST 802s and TL40s are the usual go to .
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Contacted them via their archaic website. I'll post results when I know anything.
p
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Very quick response. Sending it in tomorrow. I still think I fried it, maybe not though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio