Mic pre question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 20th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #1
Trustee

Mic pre question

This is more of an audio question, and hopefully DSE can chime in. In my home studio (Nuendo, mackie board,etc.) I've been micing direct. Most guys I know are using either the Avalon 737 sp, or something similar, for vocals, bass, accoustic guitar.I like the idea of mic pre, eq and compressor in one unit. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to rent or borrow one to test in my studio.
A guy I do some work with has a TC electronic "Gold Channel", which he is going to lend me( he wants to sell it). It's not a tube set up, but is stereo , stores presets,and supposedly sounds great.
Any ideas?
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #2

The TC Gold Channel is a fine device, but it's also not an Avalon, since you mentioned that. The Avalon has a VERY distinctive flavor; some like it, some love it, some don't. I'm a user of the John Hardy pre's, pretty hard to beat.
For the buck, the Gold Channel has some nice features, but most of what it has, I'd never use because I prefer to do all my processing in post, except for occasionally using light compression on record.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #3
Trustee

Thank for the info. I tried an Avalon today and found it very impressive, but I can't justify the expense right now. Can you recomend an entry level (i.e. cheaper, tube mic pre?)
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio