DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Canon Vixia HF G10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/514186-canon-vixia-hf-g10.html)

John Ramos February 8th, 2013 06:31 PM

Canon Vixia HF G10

Please keep in mind I am very new, but am starting to pick up on some of the terminology you guys are using. Anyway, what I am wanting to know is what my best option is for an external microphone with what I am wanting to do. I have a little set I have been building over the past 6 months in my house and I am going to be recording short "disccusion/teaching" segments with me and a white board. I had originally opted to go with the wired option, but as it has developed I began looking into wireless options. However, when doing a search I found there were tons of options out there and many of which I am not even sure will work with my particular camcorder. I did find that the "Beachtek DXA-2T" adapter was mentioned several times, but wanted to get an answer directly from someone before I invested in anything. This is a low budget operation and more for fun than anything. I just want it to sound and look as good as it can. I own a Canon Vixia HF g10 which is what I will be doing most of my recording with, but I also own a Canon 60D I have wondered if I could use as well if I wanted to use 2 angles instead of one static (but i am not sure how that all works with the audio and such). I will be editing these videos using CS6 Adobe Premier - if that matters at all? I also would like to do some sort of interview type videos as well. I assume the lavalier option would be the best, but you guys tell me! I apologize the post is so long, but I wanted to give you all as much info as I could. Thanks for the help!

Gary Nattrass February 9th, 2013 03:54 AM

Re: Canon Vixia HF G10

I have a canon HF11 and if I want to do simple things like one presenter I just plug a sennheiser G2 radio mic straight into it or if doing interviews or sound effects a sony ECM MS957 stereo mic or sometimes a small ECM MS907.

Adding a beachtech or juiced link will give you more options such as more inputs but a three or four channel mixer will give you even more flexibility, they will also allow phantom powered mic's to be used and channel assignment.

Personally I use the Twelco mixers but the sound devices ones are very popular but can be quite costly.

Roberto Diaz February 10th, 2013 12:57 AM

i've read some posts suggesting using a portable audio recorder (e.g., Zoom H2 or H2n) in your pocket with a lav mic. the lav mic is close to you so it sounds good even if you face towards the camera or away (in your case towards the whiteboard). the recorder in your pocket eliminates ugly cables and gives you mobility. and it's not that expensive, either!

i haven't used that set up but it sounds very practical for a modest budget.

Greg Miller February 10th, 2013 08:12 AM

Something like a Tascam DR-05 or PR10 is smaller than the Zooms and fits very unobtrusively into a pocket, if you decide to go that route. There are also some similar size Yamahas, but they tend to be significantly higher in price.