Sennheiser EW100 problems / sample clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Trustee

Sennheiser EW100 problems / sample clip

Sennheiser EW100 problems. I am taking on intermittent audio hits with this mic. They are loud instant spikes that clip. They do it at any location and on any frequency. It used to be rare but is now so common I can’t use the mic. It happens with the HH transmitter and the lav.

This mic is also the only lav I have ever used that generates very loud white noise (for lack of a better term) if you shut down the transmitter while the receiver is on. In the sample clip the hits are on the front half. Then I recorded the noise when you turn off the transmitter. I included that because the noise is similar to the hits if they were constant. I generated the the audio hits myself by walking away from the receiver until they started, but they are exactly the same thing it does when well within normal range.

Is this mic toast or does anyone have a suggestion for me? It has been a good mic. I would love to salvage it.

Be careful with the sample, it is at a clipped volume.

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: wav MicTest_Master.wav (3.18 MB, 389 views)
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sennheiser EW100 problems / sample clip

Hello Steve,

Which Sennheiser to you own? A, B or C. What is the operating frequency you're using? Is this happening in Phoenix?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Trustee

Hello Ty,

"A"

It happens in Phoenix and other citys. I am currently on 653.475 That was a problematic frequency last week here in Phoenix. Even though I have used it many other times without issue.

Steve
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

KDPH LD is under that and KDPH LP is over it, but sounds like someone else is on that freq.

If the receiver will do a scan, let it and find a new frequency,

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Sennheiser EW100 problems. I am taking on intermittent audio hits with this mic. They are loud instant spikes that clip. They do it at any location and on any frequency. It used to be rare but is now so common I can’t use the mic. It happens with the HH transmitter and the lav.

This mic is also the only lav I have ever used that generates very loud white noise (for lack of a better term) if you shut down the transmitter while the receiver is on. In the sample clip the hits are on the front half. Then I recorded the noise when you turn off the transmitter. I included that because the noise is similar to the hits if they were constant. I generated the the audio hits myself by walking away from the receiver until they started, but they are exactly the same thing it does when well within normal range.

Is this mic toast or does anyone have a suggestion for me? It has been a good mic. I would love to salvage it.

Be careful with the sample, it is at a clipped volume.

Steve
You have not set the squelch, it's turned off.

The "white noise" when you turn the transmitter off is normal on any radiomic. where the squelch is switched off. So go into the squelch control on the receiver and set it to "LOW" and this should cure the problem.

The loud spikes could be that you have not screwed the mic. in properly, or that the cable has been strained and is partially broken.

So - plug it all up and to a test - listen to what happens when you move the mic. cable. If you get these spikes when you move the cable it's an indication that the cable is broken. If you suspect that it's by the connector, you could cut it off and put on a new one.

This sort of problem is common where people just wrap the mic. cable round the transmitter when they take it off - if you do this use a couple of fingers on the transmitter when you do the first loop so that you leave a loop from the connector and don't pull it tight so that it will break.

I hope this helps.

John
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Trustee

John,

Thank you. I had always figured the factory setting of “0db” was the lowest setting for the squelch, there are no –db settings. Apparently 0db is off, the next setting up is 05db and the noise instantly went away. I have been using radio mics of all types for fifteen years. On one hand I displayed ignorance and on the other that goes to show the things you can learn here. Thank you.

The “hits” I am taking are not from a bad mic wire. They also occur when I am using the hand held transmitter. Here is another dumb thought. The noise from the squelch not being suppressed was so loud and powerful is it possible that it could be bleeding through, causing the “hits”? It sounds the same? I know it is more likely to be interference but I know little about the actual circuitry inside the mic.

All input will be appreciated.

Steve
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Steve is this the later model Ew100? Is the lighting green or amber?
AL
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Which exact model transmitter & receiver do you have. G2, G3 or other? EM or the EK portable receiver
You state your set to 653.475? Sennheiser 100 series frequency Block A in the G2 goes from 518>554MHz. G3 from 516>558MHz
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #9
Trustee

I think it is amber but I will have to check. The Lav transmitter is SK 100, the body pack is EK 100, the HH plug is SKP 100 - does that help? I'm guessing I bought it about 8 years ago. They are not the newer G model.

Steve
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Trustee

My range is 630 to 662 Mhz - Group "A' is off my old memory?
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
My range is 630 to 662 Mhz - Group "A' is off my old memory?
It's a version B - the G3 version B is 626-668MHz.

A is 516-558MHz

I would guess yours is a G2
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
John,

Thank you. I had always figured the factory setting of “0db” was the lowest setting for the squelch, there are no –db settings. Apparently 0db is off, the next setting up is 05db and the noise instantly went away. I have been using radio mics of all types for fifteen years. On one hand I displayed ignorance and on the other that goes to show the things you can learn here. Thank you.

The “hits” I am taking are not from a bad mic wire. They also occur when I am using the hand held transmitter. Here is another dumb thought. The noise from the squelch not being suppressed was so loud and powerful is it possible that it could be bleeding through, causing the “hits”? It sounds the same? I know it is more likely to be interference but I know little about the actual circuitry inside the mic.

All input will be appreciated.

Steve
OK - 1st problem sorted.

If the second problem happens with both transmitters, it's either external interference or a damaged output cable.

Do the same tests as I suggest with the mic. cable to the receiver output cable and see if you get the noises when you play with the cable at each end.

If it happens it could be a broken output cable.

If not, it's likely to be external interference from somewhere.
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I would think a G2 also.
As I recall the squelch adi.s are Low-Med-High. Try setting it to Low, with the transmitter off, if you see RF reception you'll need to find an open frequency. Try the receiver's 'Scan' function. You may have to try alternate banks and re-scan if your area is very congested.
BTW, You can't use two transmitters at the same time on the same frequency with one receiver .. If you need more than one transmitter you will need another transmitter/receiver system set to a different frequency.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
If the receiver will do a scan, let it and find a new frequency
I had the same exact issue with my G2 system. Once I figured out that receiver can scan for open frequencies I did so and the problem disappeared.

Just remember to set the transmitter(s) to the same channel!
Guy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #15
Trustee

Hey Guys,

The output cable checks out just fine.

It is not a G2. It must be older than that. The original manual is archived in a storage unit. I went to the seni site for a PDF ad G2 seems to be the oldest they have archived.

This thing clearly says EW100 on it. It is an older body style than the G series. There is no big LCD screen on the front of it. Just a VERY small screen on the side of it. Super heavy metal construction. Battery slides in the side of it.

It does not scan. I have been changing mic frequencies manually before they would scan. I usually work with Shure or Sonys though.

Squelch settings are not low, med, high. They start at 0db and go up.

This is the ENG receiver kit.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio