Did I fry my mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 25th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Tourist

Did I fry my mic?

Hey everyone. I recently plugged my Sennheiser G2 lav into my Tascam DR-100 with the phantom power accidentally (or foolishly) turned on. Immediately it peaked the levels and was just an ear piercing noise. I quickly removed it and realized what I did. I've heard that this can fry the mic or just cause interference. But since then both the Tascam and the Lav only get peaked noise signals even when plugged in to other devices. The Tascam is doing this with all input signals too, not just the XLR. So while I could understand why the mic might be fried (would this level peaking even be a symptom of that?) it seems strange that it would have destroyed the Tascam too. Would/could this be an unbalanced thing? Any help would be very appreciated!
Brad Rozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Did I fry my mic?

Assuming you have 48v phantom and not the 3-volt unbalanced mike power that some recorders furnish, I'll bet you fried the mike. Please don't ask how I know this.....!

I have no experience with the Tascam, will have to leave that to an expert with the gear....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The Tascam recorder should be tested with properly balanced mics, both dynamic and Phantom Powered with the record level set to "manual".
It's certainly possible damage was done to the mic.
One consolation, even if you did fry the mic, the G2/3 ME2 ain't that good anyway.
What do you mean by "peaked noise signals"?
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for the help. It doesn't seem like the mic is fried since both it and the Tascam are having the same symptoms. When I turn either one of them on (the Tascam or the G2 receiver) immediately the audio levels are peaking. If I listen it is a high pitched noise or squeal that is very loud (almost like the tone that accompanies bars). On the G2, this is happening on just the receiver when it's not even plugged in to anything else. On the Tascam, it is happening with nothing being input and on any input setting...Line in, XLR, or either of the two on board mics. It's almost as if something shorted when I plugged the mic in to it.
Brad Rozman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio