Rode NTG-3 + Rycote S330 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Tourist

Rode NTG-3 + Rycote S330

I'm still pretty new to audio, but I've decided to make a lasting upgrade by buying the NTG-3. I also bought the Rycote S 330 for it, since a lot of people recommend it.

I have two basic questions:
1. the NTG-3 instructions say to never cover any of the slots on the side of the microphone. However, with the Lyre suspension in the S-Series, I don't see anyway to avoid it. The front supension covers 4 of the slots. Will this affect the performance much?
2. also I assume the slots on the sides of the NTG-3 should always point out horizontally -- not ever up toward the ceiling and down to the floor. Is this correct?

Thanks for helping out a beginner!

-- Dave
Dave McFarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Rode NTG-3 + Rycote S330

I am sure the resident rycote expert will be here soon but I think you can adjust the spacing between the lyres!

I don't think it matters which direction the slots are pointing but I tend to keep them to the side anyway as it looks better out of the blimp or softie and means the xlr is not sideways either!
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Well I am not one of the audio experts.....but I have used both items mentioned for several years. IMHO it's not something to get too worked up about, just adjust the lyre supports as you see fit (but you will find it difficult not to block a couple of slots either side, as you have found). I tend to keep the interference tube slots at either side too, BTW.

Main thing is to just use this lovely gear and get out there and enjoy getting some great audio in the field with it! Don't forget to get some decent headphones for sound monitoring and you'll be all set.

And welcome to the forum!
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks Gary and Andy,

I won't sweat it, and just get recording. I'm already blown away by the NTG-3. It's fantastic.

-- Dave
Dave McFarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFarland View Post
I'm still pretty new to audio, but I've decided to make a lasting upgrade by buying the NTG-3. I also bought the Rycote S 330 for it, since a lot of people recommend it.

I have two basic questions:
1. the NTG-3 instructions say to never cover any of the slots on the side of the microphone. However, with the Lyre suspension in the S-Series, I don't see anyway to avoid it. The front supension covers 4 of the slots. Will this affect the performance much?
2. also I assume the slots on the sides of the NTG-3 should always point out horizontally -- not ever up toward the ceiling and down to the floor. Is this correct?

Thanks for helping out a beginner!

-- Dave
Have the slots on the top where they are not blocked by the Lyre.

If you hold the mic. up to the light, you should be able to see where the active slots are.
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dave,

Different mic and windshield but this Rycote video might prove useful as the general points of setting up a shotgun in a blimp are well covered.

https://vimeo.com/rycotevimeo/review...125/dc69376397
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Different mic and windshield but this Rycote video might prove useful as the general points of setting up a shotgun in a blimp are well covered.
https://vimeo.com/rycotevimeo/review...125/dc69376397
Excellent! Thanks Andy.
Dave McFarland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio