Turn Windjammer inside-out when not used? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 15th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #1
Trustee

Turn Windjammer inside-out when not used?

Just finished reading an interesting article on the Trew Audio web site about a Rycote factory tour that Glen Trew had. While on the tour he was told that it is recommended to turn the Windjammer inside-out when it is not being used, like for storage. This is interesting.

Does anyone have an idea why turning the Windjammer inside-out would be recommended? Maybe to keep the hairs clean?

As a matter of use, with regard to the Windjammer or any of my muffs, I try to avoid touching the hairs so that the oils and any dirt from my skin doesn't contaminate the fir.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Turn Windjammer inside-out when not used?

What sort of windjammer?

I'm trying very hard to imagine turning my Rycote Softie inside out being either (a) a good thing or (b) possible to do without damaging it!

As an aside, and talking of wind screen maintenance, I wonder if I can get Rycote combs as spares? I've lost mine, and I feel a bit metrosexual using a hairbrush on it in the field!
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Trustee

A wind jammer is different to a softie and s the furry cover that goes over a blimp, I can see the logic in keeping it stored inside out and it will also pack better in a flight case.

Most people leave them on the blimp but they can get very matted when wet but a suitable replacement comb can be sourced from a pet shop!
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
What sort of windjammer?
It's the one that goes over the WS4 Windshield (for an ME-66 in this case)

Quote:
I'm trying very hard to imagine turning my Rycote Softie inside out being either (a) a good thing or (b) possible to do without damaging it!
Well, the comment about the softie was with regard to touching it with oily fingers, not about turning them inside. out. Doing that would be, uh,... difficult.

Quote:
As an aside, and talking of wind screen maintenance, I wonder if I can get Rycote combs as spares? I've lost mine, and I feel a bit metrosexual using a hairbrush on it in the field!
Yea, that Rycote retractable brush is a real attention getter. Everybody likes to play with it.

If you think a hairbrush that says "Revlon" on it might not look that, shall we say, professional, or maybe someone might get the wrong idea, Gary's idea of getting one at a pet store is an option. On the other hand, I think one that says Revlon might provide a better impression than one that says Fido!

Last edited by John Nantz; April 15th, 2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: change "than" to "to" and back again.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio