Is there a 4 XLR input audio recorder out there? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 1st, 2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Is there a 4 XLR input audio recorder out there?

Totally take your points Garrett and agree with all of them in a ideal world but with said producers happy to use stills cameras with less than pro stable recording technology and functionality that has created the search for focus and wobbly cam style I think there is a place for all levels of kit if it is used correctly.

Lack of production planning and basic technical skills from production staff tends to be a larger liability than the reliability of kit these days and whilst I would invest in expensive high end kit in the past I am less inclined to these days and as said treat it almost as a use it for a couple of years till the next big thing comes along!
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:08 PM   #17
Trustee

Gary, I agree and as always the right equipment is the gear that gets the job done. Also, knowing what is overkill is an important thing to keep in mind. Form me, time is money and the deciding factor usually comes down more to what will be most efficient for me and the crew.

The funny thing is that both sides seem to be racing toward each other and not necessarily in a good way. On one hand you have the higher end side looking to drastically lower their costs. As you said, their are a lot of "pro" productions using inexpensive cameras now. On the other hand, I've lost count of how many times I've seen a request for say a RED to shoot a web series. It boggles your mind.

In the end, the right piece of equipment is what works for you.
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:18 PM   #18
Major Player

Wow.. I love the replies! Thanks all for some good info. I think for myself, being a hobbyist (someday maybe indie filmmaker) the H6N would be exactly what I would want.. 4 to 6 channels of pretty good quality audio recording at once with XLR inputs for hopefully better mic capabilities.

The R16 did look interesting too, but I like the idea of everything fitting neatly on my rig, even though it weighs almost 25lbs now so it's not exactly easy to move around with the full kit on it. Oddly enough, I am starting to think that the benefit of plastic in weight may be worth the lesser quality these days!! At least when having to move the rig around a lot.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio