Best simple, guerilla sound set-up for run-and gun live music + interviews? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to make a simple, guerilla sound set-up for run-and gun live music + interviews?

Howdy folks,

I am not very well versed in sound, but constantly researching. I realize the sound world is constantly evolving. I've used seperate recorders like h4n's, and cheap shotgun mics. However, I'm amping up my gear. Would love your take on the most simple set-up option for what I'll be doing. Trying to keep this setup to less than 3 microphones.

Budget : $600.

The gear : Canon XF100 (which has dual XLR) and Canon 60D (not much to do with sound). Macbook Pro.

Situation : Running around mobile, filming a ton of very loud bands in a ton of widely varying sound conditions. Mostly indoors, medium to small places with a "normal" band sound setup for mid-sized venues. Some performances will likely be just be 2 speakers on stalks. I want to keep away from plugging into any mixer board at all times. I will, however, have any placement options I want.

Furthermore, quiet interviews in a varying environment.

Obviously, a good shotgun into one XLR input on the XF100 is a good first step. What other pieces would you find essential in this range, if you were trying to keep the ability to put everything in one bag and go on the run?

Thanks much!

Last edited by John Yingling; May 2nd, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
John Yingling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best simple, guerilla sound set-up for run-and gun live music + interviews?

One-Man-Band* Audio
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

John, if you're recording the bands then the last thing you'd want is a shotgun inside EXCEPT if you're using it as a reinforcement.
By that I mean, in most indoor settings you'd be better off using a hypercaroid but again each situation is different, so I'm going to give you a generalized setup that I've been using for many years doing weddings be it a DJ or live band.
I use a Sennheiser E604 drum mic which is made to take the high SPLs that a live band can produce, on a stand set up about 3 to 6 inches in front of one of the speakers (NOT the bass speaker) I have the mic attached to my plug in transmitter which I run back to my receiver and that runs to channel 2 on my camera with channel 1 being filled up with my Blueline Hypercaroid mic. In post I have virtually nothing to do for the audio. The combination works quite well. The wireless transmitter is set to -6db and I can control levels on the receiver and camera and the hyper has a -10db setting that I use at times depending on the situation and of course I can control the levels on the camera. I have never clipped the sound, I can monitor the sound of course and my post production is down considerably.
HOWEVER, this type of set up will be more than the $600 budget you have but it works. Plain and simple.
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys! I'll take a look at these! Totally appreciate you taking the time to throw some info my way.
John Yingling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Re: How to make a simple, guerilla sound set-up for run-and gun live music + intervie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Yingling View Post
...filming a ton of very loud bands in a ton of widely varying sound conditions.
John:

I suggest you checkout the following forum as many people record bands and they have a different set of needs compared to people recording dialog or interviews:
Taperssection.com - Index
Bill Strehl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio