Need assistance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Need assistance

Hello i got this camera Sony Product Detail Page HXRNX5U

I record a video but i never play with the sounds or any feature that came with the camera. when i play the recorded video inside the camera it sounds perfectly but, when i pull out the san disk and insert it in my laptop, the sound doesn't appear, it appear the recorded video but without audio.

Anyone knows how to fixed this?...or tell me what apparently i did wrong, because i used to record, before the video and all the videos i used to record the i haven't have problems with audio until now.
Daniel Cortes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Need assistance

Sounds like you don't have the PCM audio codec, if you're in HD, or the AC3 codec if you're in SD, installed in your player. If you are on windows, there are a number of sources which provide free codec downloads. One I found on the internet --and please note I have no personal experience with this particular download, please do your own research --- is this: Home of Windows Essentials Codec Pack
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:31 PM   #3
New Boot

By the way my type file is AVCHD Video (.MTS)
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Trustee

AVCHD usually uses the AC3 codec. Also, if you are copying the files from your card into your computer, be sure to copy the complete file structure, not just the .mts files.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
New Boot

Please how?!...because i just record something in my room and insert the sd in my laptop and i open that record, that i just did about a couple of sec, and it have sound!...in the windows.... :/ don't get this.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Major Player

I would suggest downloading the free VLC player and using it to check your playback. It plays almost every format and you should be able to hear the sound just fine. I have this same issue with Windows Media Player and AVCHD files from the FS-100
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7
New Boot

Yes but what happens is that when i open that in Premier pro (for purpose of editing) or any other video editor, the audio doesn't play.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Trustee

It may be the way you are importing the files into Premiere. Check the online help for the proper way to import avchd files. If you have CS6, use the media browser. AVCHD files have bits and parts that all have to be imported properly. You may have some kind of software provided with your camera to handle this function. Here's what the Premiere help file says for CS6:

"Use the Media Browser, instead of File > Import, to import files from tapeless sources. The Media Browser assembles the relevant files into coherent clips, and does not import irrelevant non-media files sometimes found in the folders of tapeless media. You can drag selected assets directly into the Project panel from the Media Browser. You can also select assets, and then choose File > Import from Media Browser, or right-click and then choose Import from the context menu.
In Premiere Pro CS6, the default workspace has the Project panel and the Media Browser docked into the same panel. It is not apparent that you can drag clips into the Project panel in this workspace configuration, but you can. To import assets into the Project panel from the Media Browser, select the clips you wish to import, and then drag them to the Project tab. The assets will then be imported."

Premiere should have the proper audio codecs already, so it sounds like you're just dragging the .mts files into your player or editing program, and not importing them properly.
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks. But one of my worries beside that is the main audio itself. But thanks.
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Trustee

This is NOT an audio question and it does not belong in this forum. This is a codec and Premiere question.

Please re-post your question in the Adobe Premiere forum where you will reach people who are more likely to be able to answer your question(s).
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/

ALSO! When you re-post your question, please use a title that means something. Practically every message here could have been titled "Need assistance". That means that your title contains no useful information. Use better titles if you want useful response.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #11
New Boot

It is and audio problem, i do know how to import it. One leads to another.
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #12
Inner Circle

It probably is a codec question, but the OP is very green and doesn't know this - to him he has an audio problem - which is the symptom, and it is an audio one. If it moves to the computer section, then the answers will be impossible to understand.

To Daniel
Premiere is able to read the MTS file directly. It does not require the entire directory tree to be copied. That's the usual method for some people, who wish to use the browser like facilities but I only import the MTS files and it works fine. Premiere assumes the required decoding software is already on your system, and installed properly. Sometimes during installation something goes wrong - and in basic terms, Premiere has audio content that your computer for some reason can not deal with. I'm guessing that if you double click on the MTS files on the editing computer in windows explorer - either nothing happens because the computer doesn't know what an MTS file is, or it opens up media player which has no sound, just like Premiere? The alternate media player recommended above should install the missing encoder/decoders, which should then be available to Premiere. You're just missing a small bit of software - that's all. There could be more tricky problems under the hood, but try this first before you go deeper.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
It probably is a codec question, but the OP is very green and doesn't know this - to him he has an audio problem - which is the symptom, and it is an audio one. If it moves to the computer section, then the answers will be impossible to understand.

To Daniel
Premiere is able to read the MTS file directly. It does not require the entire directory tree to be copied. That's the usual method for some people, who wish to use the browser like facilities but I only import the MTS files and it works fine. Premiere assumes the required decoding software is already on your system, and installed properly. Sometimes during installation something goes wrong - and in basic terms, Premiere has audio content that your computer for some reason can not deal with. I'm guessing that if you double click on the MTS files on the editing computer in windows explorer - either nothing happens because the computer doesn't know what an MTS file is, or it opens up media player which has no sound, just like Premiere? The alternate media player recommended above should install the missing encoder/decoders, which should then be available to Premiere. You're just missing a small bit of software - that's all. There could be more tricky problems under the hood, but try this first before you go deeper.

Thanks Paul, by the way i did drag and drop the private folder the one that haves the avchd files, and i did drag and dropped, but only a few videos let me hear it inside Pr wish as always is odd, i fallow some step a few guy here tell me to as i did in other videos the same. But still some videos doesn't have any sounds. Also is funny that my Pr is missing the AVCHD inside the folder of 1080p, but still i could be able to just create a 1080p24 composition and drag it all the folder, but still the same problem with some of the audios missing :/.
Daniel Cortes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio