DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Hirose vs XLR brkaway cables for SD442 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/516339-hirose-vs-xlr-brkaway-cables-sd442.html)

Melvin Baggs May 5th, 2013 07:56 PM

Hirose vs XLR brkaway cables for SD442

I just purchased a used SD 442 through ebay because of the mixers 4 inputs. I am new to audio and do not know the full capabilities of this mixer but I do know that it would give me greater flexibility than the JuicedLink I presently have going into my cameras right and left XLR inputs.

What would the advantage be in using the 442 with a Hirose Breakaway Audio Output Cable to connect to my cameras XLR inputs, verses using the XLR Audio Output Breakaway Cable on the mixer to the camera's XLR inputs? It seems when using the Hirose cable a second cable would be needed to connect to a recorder.

Jeffery Magat May 5th, 2013 09:07 PM

Re: Hirose vs XLR brkaway cables for SD442

The fact is you don't really want to record through the juicedlink or directly to a DSLR camera for that matter.

The 442 should be connected to a separate recorder.

Melvin Baggs May 5th, 2013 09:36 PM

Maybe I did not make it clear but the juicedlink is being replaced by the by the sd442. My concern is which of the two breakaway cables.

Steve House May 6th, 2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melvin Baggs (Post 1794223)

What would the advantage be in using the 442 with a Hirose Breakaway Audio Output Cable to connect to my cameras XLR inputs, verses using the XLR Audio Output Breakaway Cable on the mixer to the camera's XLR inputs? It seems when using the Hirose cable a second cable would be needed to connect to a recorder.

In terms of the audio signal there is no difference between using the Hirose main out versus the XLR main outs. The two outputs are isolated from each other so you can use both at once- for example, going from the Hirose directly to your camera with a breakout cable (Hirose->2xXLR) while also going from the XLR main outs to a separate recorder with a pair of XLR cables, no need for a cable from the recorder to the camera at all. If the recorder expected a consumer line level input, you could use the Aux outputs instead.

Rick Reineke May 6th, 2013 11:12 AM

Either or, the quality would not change, one large plug vs. three smaller ones. Either way it would not be needed for a bag based recorder, and sending audio to a DSLR has other hoops to jump through, on and the 442 would be of little help for the awful sounding DSLRs.
That said, the later 442 firmware allows the, 'tape out' can be set to mic level, so check what version of firmware is present, and explore the options.

Ty Ford May 7th, 2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 1794256)
In terms of the audio signal there is no difference between using the Hirose main out versus the XLR main outs. The two outputs are isolated from each other so you can use both at once- for example, going from the Hirose directly to your camera with a breakout cable (Hirose->2xXLR) while also going from the XLR main outs to a separate recorder with a pair of XLR cables, no need for a cable from the recorder to the camera at all. If the recorder expected a consumer line level input, you could use the Aux outputs instead.

The Hirose has the built in and highly valuable headphone return. If you're not using a headphone return that allows you to hear the camera headphone output, you're already in trouble.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Steve House May 7th, 2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 1794428)
The Hirose has the built in and highly valuable headphone return. If you're not using a headphone return that allows you to hear the camera headphone output, you're already in trouble.

Regards,

Ty Ford

So very true!

Melvin Baggs May 9th, 2013 07:38 PM

Thanks everyone for all of your responses. I learned that not only will the Hirose give me the ability to monitor the audio out on both the camera and mixer through the headphones, it will also give me use of both of the*main outs on the 442, which leads me to my next post.... connecting the 442 main outs and TA3 outs to a Tascam 680.