AT 829cW lavalier with broken wire - Fix? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 6th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #1
New Boot

AT 829cW lavalier with broken wire - Fix?

I have an AT 829cW lavalier (body pack model) with a broken wire somewhere just below the mic capsule.

Question 1: Is there a special tool to match the two dimples in the mic base to unscrew it from the housing?

Question 2: What's the best way to do a continuity test to find the spot where it's broken? (i.e. which of the 4 sockets on the hirose hr10 -7p-4s plug, and also the mic end)

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
AT 829cW lavalier with broken wire - Fix?-hiros-hs-10a-female-cable-connector.jpg   AT 829cW lavalier with broken wire - Fix?-wireless-lavallier.jpg  

Andrew McWeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: AT 829cW lavalier with broken wire - Fix?

Since it's less than $50.00 to buy brand new, why not save the massive headache and get another one? I realize it's $50.00 but frankly I think the time and effort you'll spend in trying to locate where and if the wire is broken and then fixing it is probably going to be more than $50.00, but that's just me.
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

With most lavs, when the cable is damaged at or pulled out of the mic element, this usually requires a full replacement, if it's damaged at the connector, that should be relatively 'cheap and easy' to fix with small wire connector soldering skills.
FWIW, The Hirose connectors are a challenge to even those experienced.. been-there-done-that..

Last edited by Rick Reineke; May 6th, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Major Player

I've used engineer's dividers to unscrew such devices. Pointed nose mini pliers might do it, but I'm thinking those holes are tiny.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio