Audio Technica Boundary Microphone U841A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:25 PM   #1
New Boot

Audio Technica Boundary Microphone U841A

Hi guys
Can anyone advise me if I can get the mics working without the power module that's supplied with the mic.
The story is I had a lot of fan noise on a wedding video so deciding I did not want to spend hours again on adobe audition I jumped on the Idea of 2 low profile boundary mics for the speeches etc.

I bid and bought 2 on e bay, when they arrived they were minus the power modules the seller said they were an optional extra when you buy the mics new, which by the way is rubbish, anyhow Im now left with over a lot of money spent and him not wanting to give me my money back.

I have tried a standard 48v phantom power unit but unless the gain is on full on my recorder hardly any sound comes out of them

BTW, i did spend quite a lot on them so you would think you would get the full working package, and buying two new power units would cost well over £100 each

Has anyone ideas to get them working ....
Thanks Nigel
Nigel Seacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Audio Technica Boundary Microphone U841A

According to AT, they are operable on Phantom Power.. but... it likely needs a Phantom Power adapter. One which would allow a wireless mic element to be used in hardwired config. Contact AT for the suggested module Right, they ain't cheap !
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Trustee

I'm not sure about your sources in the UK, but in the US the U841a is commonly available new for $200.
The AT8531 power supply that comes with it normally, is also available as a replacement for about $70.

Personally I'd insist on your buyer's protections from ebay and get your money back.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If the power supplies weren't mentioned than what has he done wrong? However - if he's a business seller just request a refund. If he's private, you are stuffed. It's very common for ebay items to just be the main item. Power supplies of all kinds, adaptors and cables can't be expected unless they're mentioned. Omission and then assumption are not usually held up by ebay, despite being usually anti-seller/pro-buyer! It could be cheaper to buy a couple of cheap boundary mics of Chinese origin, for less than fifty quid!

Mind you, opening them up and having a poke around could be worth it if you're happy to do a bit of bodging. The phantom power/battery module in these things usually powers the mic by one of two ways. Either superimposing the polarising voltage onto the audio line, or supplying it via a separate core. As the mics can work off a battery, then just 1.5v up the spout could be enough. You'd need to determine if the mic is balanced to the PSU, or unbalanced, with the conversion being done in the power supply module. The failed attempt with another phantom unit suggests that the unbalanced cable with separate power supply conductor might be the case. If you can't do it yourself, somebody local to you could probably bodge them to make them work
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Seacy View Post
The story is I had a lot of fan noise on a wedding video so deciding I did not want to spend hours again on adobe audition
I jumped on the Idea of 2 low profile boundary mics for the speeches etc. Thanks Nigel
Uh oh Nigel, using a boundary layer omni directional mic for speeches at a wedding is not a good idea.

The spokesperson stands up, sometimes at a/the table where he/she is seated, sometimes at a lecturn. Either way that mic will have to sit on a flat surface
in front of the person and being omni directional it'll pick up the 'fan noise' and other extraneous noises .. especially if the person is a quiet talker
and you have to ride the gain.

For those occasions we tape a wireless lav to the lecturn mic stand, or have someone clip one to the table speakers lapel prior. I'd be putting those AT mics
back on Ebay and maybe renting a wireless lav rig in the meantime. Bury the cost on the invoice.

Cheers.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Trustee

Interesting... I just searched eBay, and I do not see a pair of U841a being purchased within the past month or more.

However, I see many AT8531 power modules have been sold for as little as $10 or less... it looks as if you missed a real glut of them... too bad. Presently there are a few listed for around $30 or so; it you wait a while, I imagine some cheaper ones will come along.

And, as Allan Black suggests, this might not be the best option for your situation anyway.

Hope it all works out for the best, one way or the other.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #7
New Boot

Hi Guys
Firstly very sorry for delay
Thank you very much for the help, your comments gave me a few choices to think about, Im not going to get into a discussion about ebay (BTW im on the UK ebay) But the advert was a direct copy from the AT website, having closely looked again it just omitted the whats in the box bit.

I'm not really sure about getting anything from the USA ebay as last time I bought something I had to pay import duty.

Im going to wait it the hope that power units come up for sale over here.

So here's a revamped question
I'm at the back of the reception room /wedding venue with my Sony FX1 which does have a good built in stereo mic,( I did try a Beyerdynamic MCE 86N shot Gun mic but to be honest I didnt notice much difference) I also run a side camera Canon 60d mounted with a rode stereo mic apart from the occasional use of a change of angle it gives me a back up sound file in case something goes wrong with the sony
I have a zoom H4 that I try to put on the top table trouble is it picks up absolutely every sound and bump that anyone on the table makes, thats why I thought the two well placed boundary mics would be a good alternative.

Can anyone suggest a mic that will more or less just pick up the speeches, also here in the UK very few people would be willing to wear a lapel mic

Regards Nigel
Nigel Seacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Omni boundary mics, and especially the PCC types are actually pretty good. Sitting on a flat surface, the results are fine. The sound from a clipped on lav is better because it's closer to the mouth, but if this is impossible, a few boundary mics can make a big difference. I'm not suggesting they're better, but if lavs are out, they're a darn sight better than anything on a stand! You can of course tape your mics to all sorts of things, but you need a fair few in your bag, and then you are into field mixers or multiple recorders, or multiple RF systems. Typical UK weddings with standing speeches from top table mean that a couple will cover quite well, and the reverse pickup makes the room sound busy.

I don't use mine all the time by all means, but I would not like to be without them.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #9
New Boot

Thanks paul, I have in my mind to divide the table into three and place them at 1/3 and 2/3 along the table, I know its not perfect but at the moment the rode although good picks up absolutely everything which by the way I always add the tracks at a lower volume which gives a little more (roomy) feel to the recording from the zoom,
I have been a stills photographer all my life only lately since my daughter took over the studio have I moved over with great interest to video, to be honest the route of my problems is I have a touch of emphysema and my breathing at times is of slightly higher volume than the normal persons so its usual for the camera I'm working with will pick it up especially if I have to amplify the speeches.
Nigel Seacy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio