DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What technique do you use to carry your field mixer? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/517226-what-technique-do-you-use-carry-your-field-mixer.html)

Les Wilson June 16th, 2013 11:09 AM

What technique do you use to carry your field mixer?

2 Attachment(s)
The last two times I had someone to run sound in the field, they carried my field mixer in a portabrace case hanging on a Lowepro harness. We did not use a boompole. It seemed to be kind of low on them. I've since seen some operators in BTS photos recently that use a shoulder strap and have the mixer to the side ... on their hip... especially when using a boompole. I'm adding a boompole this time.

When you are running sound with a boompole, how do you like to carry your mixer bag? Front or side or what?

Front: Petrol PS605 Deca Heavy Duty Harness from TAI Audio - Location Sound Equipment Sales, Service and Rental - Authorized Dealers of Lectrosonics, Sound Devices, Sennheiser, Etc.
Side: Getting By Without a Sound Person – How to Operate a Boompole without a Boompole Operator | B&H Photo Video Pro Video

Garrett Low June 16th, 2013 01:19 PM

Re: What technique do you use to carry your field mixer?

I carry it in a bag in front with a full harness. I'm carrying a mixer and multichannel recorder so a large bag with a good harness is the only way my back doesn't get fatigued over a day.

Don Bloom June 16th, 2013 02:33 PM

Every sound guy (gal) I have ever worked with has carried their gear in a Portabrace bag with a harness in front of them. Easier on the back and immediate access to the mixer and recorder. With or without a boom.

Gary Nattrass June 16th, 2013 03:18 PM

Petrol bag for me but just the stock strap but I have it at the front resting on my beer reserves! ;0)

Brian P. Reynolds June 16th, 2013 06:45 PM

I use my kit on the left hip or right hip (with a strap) and front (with a harness) depending on the situation.
I run a SD 442, 3x Senni radio mics, 416 on a short CF pole, Comtek IFB and Marantz recorder.

On the left if I need to critically monitor the meters.
On the right if I need good access to multiple gain knobs.
On the front with a harness when the shoot is for an extended period of time and / or using the full kit of gear.
But I prefer it resting on a chair or table ;)

Rick Reineke June 17th, 2013 08:26 AM

I use a Petrol bag with a or the Versa Flex harness, or the shoulder strap, depending on the weight for the bag on a particular job. On ENG type shoots, I'll have a 302, 744, four receivers, IFB transmitter, NP1 battery and other odds & ends. I like the harness for heavy loads, but it's difficult to see your feet, going up/down stairs, ect.

James Kuhn June 17th, 2013 10:41 AM

Like a lot of the folks here, I carry my SD-302 Mixer, Marantz PMD-661 and NP-1 Battery in a Petrol PS607 bag using the OEM shoulder strap in the 'traditional' right or left hip carry. If, I'll be standing for extended periods I use a full harness. Since I am a 'one man show', most of the time I use some sort of 'stand' to hold the Boom-Pole or I use a remote or wired Lav. I also have a EV RE50N/D-B 'Dynamic' Mic and a Sennheiser 'Butt Plug' I can use in a pinch. I also carry a "camping table" for location shoots, it rolls-up and has detachable legs. It has been a life saver on several occasions. Word of warning! The moment you set-up the 'table' it seems to attract women's purses. : )

Regards,

J.