DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   K-Tek Avalon Traveler vs Rycote A5CC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/517409-k-tek-avalon-traveler-vs-rycote-a5cc.html)

Les Wilson June 27th, 2013 05:09 AM

K-Tek Avalon Traveler vs Rycote A5CC

I am upgrading my boom pole from el-cheap-o aluminum 32" - 96" to something that I can use on international travel for fast moving documentary filmmaking in developing countries. The size, weight, ergonomics, durability/resistance to dust of the segment locks is important.

The K-Tek 79CC Traveler and Rycote A5CC are sized small enough for my travel cases and budget. I'm mating it to a Rycote S-Series 330 blimp and Rode NTG-1.

The K-Tek boom comes in a side exit model but I don't know if that is a removable accessory or if it permanently makes it 31" as the DVEstore on Amazon says. The Rycote says it's locks are designed differently than normal ones to improve ergonomics and minimize impact of dust.

Has anyone used these two boompoles? What's your evaluation of either or both of them?

John Nantz June 27th, 2013 10:14 AM

Re: K-Tek Avalon Traveler vs Rycote A5CC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1802148)
The K-Tek boom comes in a side exit model but I don't know if that is a removable accessory or if it permanently makes it 31" as the DVEstore on Amazon says.

Les - Just to reply to this part of your post, I checked the tip on my K-Tek KEG100CC and it looks just like the tip on the one you're looking at, and I presume we're talking about the tip where the Rycote windshield will attach and not the other end where the cable goes to the recorder or camera, and I couldn't get it to come off via twisting or pulling. Hence, I think the tip is a permanent attachment. Maybe if I twisted or pulled harder it would come off but I didn't go there.

The K-Tek people have been very helpful with answers to my questions so, as a suggestion, if you don't get your answer here you might try giving them a call or email: Contact | K-Tek | Boom Poles, Microphone and Camera Accessories

The Rycote Windshields are really nice - got one of them too.

On another note: Dust, eh? Here we're dealing with moss on everything but the rain is supposed to stop for a few days starting tomorrow. Sounds like a nice traveling package.

Guy Cochran June 27th, 2013 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Les,

I can speak of the K-TEK KE-79CC model and endorse it whole heartedly. We've sold hundreds of units and have had sound pros take them all over the world. The side exit model is nice to have with a short coiled XLR cable dropping into your mixer bag. Makes life easy for booming with one hand if you need to adjust levels. I'm sure you can't go wrong with the Rycote either. They make great stuff too! Here's a quick pic of the KE-79CC in action here in Seattle with the bottom exit. Les, if you'd like to try one out, I'd be happy to send one to you.

Les Wilson June 27th, 2013 07:15 PM

thanks Guy. But is the 79CCR side attachment model a fixed size at 31" or does the side attachment come off for packing?

Guy Cochran June 27th, 2013 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1802259)
thanks Guy. But is the 79CCR side attachment model a fixed at 31" or does the side attachment come off for packing?

Hi Les,

The K-TEK KE-79CCR side exit boom pole is actually 22" when fully collapsed. We had the Amazon listing modified to be correct.The side mounted XLR port is not easily detachable, it is built-in to the unit and unscrewed via tiny hex screws. I went out into the warehouse and opened one up for you to see. Here is a picture:

Hope that helps,

Les Wilson June 27th, 2013 07:44 PM

Thanks All. I place the order on Amazon for a ke79ccr.

How long of a coiled cord do you recommend?

Guy Cochran June 27th, 2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1802261)
Thanks All. I place the order on Amazon for a ke79ccr.

How long of a coiled cord do you recommend?

Are you going into a bag similar to the boom op pictured above? If so, the 18" K-TEK Coiled cable would do the trick K-Tek K18NN Coiled Microphone Cable

Les Wilson June 28th, 2013 07:17 AM

Yes. A Portabrace bag on a harness. Geez, 9' of XLR in a 20" coil should cover any position I can think of that a boom operator could get into ... lol ... Thanks, love this place.

Les Wilson August 11th, 2013 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
EPILOGUE:

I'm sure the Rycote A5CC is good but I could not be happier with the K-Tek Avalon traveler with the Rycote 3-Series blimp (especially in the constant desert wind conditions I found myself in). In particular the Avalon boom pole model with the side exit was fantastic for my trip. My sound man thoroughly enjoyed it and found creative ways to use it that took advantage of it's design. Best of all, it packs in a checked bag without going diagonal. Build quality is spectacular compared to my cheap one. Kudos to Guy at DVCreators for steering me to the side exit boom pole model.

Brian P. Reynolds August 11th, 2013 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have used Rycote boom poles on several occasions and have found the lock off mechanism a real pain... yes its better than some but still a pain.

I own many boom poles 4.5m CF, 3m (Rode) Al., K-Tek Klassic K-56 (great CF pole and ideal for travel as it will easily fit into my audio case or backpack...great grip on the treads of the pole) BUT the pole I love the most is one with thumb clip adjustments similar to photographic tripods. Just awesome.
I don't know the brand but if I could EVER find another one like it I would buy it in a flash.