Good Lav mic (straight to recorder) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 30th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Good Lav mic (straight to recorder)

I have a g3 wireless, but I like to have a few of the lav plugged straight into a mp3 recorder/zoom h1 setups for if I need to mic a bunch of people real quick. I've been using a $30 lav but it doesn't sound anywhere as good as the g3.

What are quality lav mics under $100?
Travis Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Good Lav mic (straight to recorder)

Personally I have been using these as a low cost lav option and spares to the ME2 that came with my G2 radio mic's: UltraDisk 4016 Sennheiser Screw Lock thread 3.5mm Lavalier Tie Clip microphone | eBay

They state they are unidirectional but are actually very omni in their design, you will need an adaptor to use them with phantom power but maybe you could do that with your sennheiser mics anyway.
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Tourist

Hi saw your post and i had the same problem, id reccommend having a look at the Naiant X-X Lav mic:

Naiant - Microphones

amazing value for the money at $32 for the minijack option + postage to the UK - i have both the minijack and the XLR version. They are not the smallest lav on the market but do sound great, very well made.

Sensitivity rating is very good which is real important for using with something like the H1 whose preamps aren't great - you dont need to max out the gain to get decent levels so noise is kept fairly low and manageable.

Naiant

They are made to order but normally come in a week to 10 days from the US. Id say you would be hard pushed to get better for even double the money.

All the best

Mike
Michael Rea Media - DSLR Filmmaker, Glasgow
Mike Rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
Personally I have been using these [snip]

They state they are unidirectional but are actually very omni in their design...
Given that you say these are very omni, I'm curious whether you've ever tried any of their actual omni mics. How do they compare audibly, etc. "Common knowledge" is that it's much harder to make a flat cardioid than a flat omni, so I'm wondering whether this company's omnis might not sound even better than this model.

TIA.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio