Onboard shotgun mic- mono or stereo? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 8th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Onboard shotgun mic- mono or stereo?

Hello John,

Always good to see you out here. :)

I did notice an on-camera mic on a Baltimore TV station news camera on the 4th of July. He came to record sections of the Towson, MD July 4th Parade.

He has strapped a mic onto the camera handle and it looked like it had been there a while (as in years). This is called gathering b-roll with sound. The audio is secondary (or tertiary) and will probably not be used at all.

The camera was on sticks and the sound field was so loud when the bands came by that I'm pretty sure you couldn't hear and lens motors. He did go hand-held at least once, and threaded through the ranks of one of the bands, but again, usable audio was not the task.

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS: I was the MC of the parade. Here I am conversing with the Baltimore Orioles Bird Mascot (who never speaks!) And that's an SM58 on the stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Onboard shotgun mic- mono or stereo?-ty-bird.jpg  
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #17
Inner Circle

On the consumers who think mics are magic comment. We were faced today with a sudden unexpected choir in the rehearsal for the dance show. No mention at all of a choir, and no time, with the rehearsal timed to the minute, and already behind. Best we could do was two handheld radiomics on low stands. We marked the floor, with glow tape, because they had to be set in the blackout. The stage crew had one each side of the stage, and in the blackout, they ran on, plonked them down and the sound op got ready to unmute them to route their audio to the video people.

The blackout at the end of the preceding dance came, the crew set them accurately on the marks and the lights went up to reveal the entire choir had missed their marks and lined up on the upstage ones, 16 feet upstage - and nowhere near the microphones. So the video people got no audio, and the audience didn't hear the kids either. They also completely missed the specially created puddle of light created especially for them, and stood almost in the dark.
I give up!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I love it when a plan come together! :)

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio