DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Advice on updating my audio equipment (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/517494-advice-updating-my-audio-equipment.html)

Terry Lee July 6th, 2013 09:37 AM

Re: Advice on updating my audio equipment

Steve, Dave Thanks fore the replies!

I Sold the t2i and bought a 60D but cant figure out how to turn of the AGC. Any help?

As for the hand held mic suggestion..for my film I want it to be as if the audience is there with me just "hanging with the guys" Its a documentary about the car culture and I think some of these guys will freeze up if they have too much pressure put on them. My approach is more like hang out and talk to them for a bit with the camera in my hand then ask them a few questions..by that time they've forgotten about the camera i'm holding and just act natural. Its worked so far.

Dave Gish July 6th, 2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Lee
I Sold the t2i and bought a 60D but cant figure out how to turn of the AGC. Any help?

Look for a firmware hack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Lee
As for the hand held mic suggestion..for my film I want it to be as if the audience is there with me just "hanging with the guys"

If you're mounting a shotgun on the camera, audio will never be that good.

David Dixon July 7th, 2013 01:42 AM

The 60D doesn't require a hack to use manual audio levels - it's built in.

It's found in the Movie settings - turn Sound Recording to Manual instead of Auto.

p. 184 in the manual

Tim Polster July 7th, 2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Lee (Post 1803570)
As for the hand held mic suggestion..for my film I want it to be as if the audience is there with me just "hanging with the guys".

It sounds like you need a dedicated sound operator with a boom pole. That is how Hollywood does it. (they also stage everything as well, but that is a different story).

You can't fight certain things when it comes to audio.

Terry Lee July 7th, 2013 10:05 AM

Everyone - Thanks a lot for the suggestions pertaining to my situations in the field. I will apply what you've told me.

As for the 60D situation, in order to use the JuicedLink preamp, I need to turn down the AGC in order for the preamp to take over.. But I can't turn it off?

Michael Wisniewski July 8th, 2013 04:06 AM

The AGC is only active when the "Sound Recording" setting is set to Auto. If you switch it to Manual ...

Terry Lee July 8th, 2013 10:32 AM

Well I figured out that the CX231 along with the DN101 is totally out of date... (complete reason for this thread) and so therefore I need to upgrade my audio equipment. The DN101 will not work with the 60D so I need to upgrade to their Riggy system..

But I'd like to know my other options for preamplifiers.. Any suggestions?

Terry Lee July 8th, 2013 05:50 PM

I've decided to just switch to the H4n, keep my mic and boom some shots.

Thanks for all the help everyone!