DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sweeps, Swooshes, Hits (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/517937-sweeps-swooshes-hits.html)

Dan Dorsey July 25th, 2013 09:50 AM

Sweeps, Swooshes, Hits

I've done a search but cannot find a good resource for some good sound elements for accentuating things flying onto/off screen.

Any suggestions? Free is good, but pay is ok.

Richard Crowley July 25th, 2013 09:58 AM

Re: Sweeps, Swooshes, Hits

I have had great success finding such things at Sound Dogs. Download Sound Effects | SoundDogs.com
Great selection, Online preview, Good prices, Delivery format selection. Instant download. Who could ask for more. (I am a non-compensated satisfied, paying customer) :-)

Oren Arieli July 25th, 2013 09:36 PM

I would also check: Royalty Free Music - Sound Effects - Stock Audio | AudioJungle

Graham Bernard July 25th, 2013 11:30 PM

Y'know, with a mic and little ego, you can do this yourself. It's dead easy. Twangs and more mechanicals can also be done "in-house". Adjusted on any decent audio temporal based compression audio s/w out there. Much and simple "Foley" type work to be done. It's good fun and creatively involving all those "found" household items.

O...K... Here's a set - 1,001 - from SONY costing under £5 quid: Loops & Samples: 1,001 Sound Effects. Click on the "Samples" button and get yourself an earful.

Toodles . . whhhoooooshhh.....

g

Allan Black July 26th, 2013 03:41 AM

Agreed Grazie. And it's a good thing to have custom SFX when selling a client ideas for his new video.
Among others, we had a range of great sounding golf club whooshes for that.

I used to a have very low handicap and didn't worry about swinging a big headed No 1 driver about an inch from a Neumann mic.
Today, not so much :(

Cheers.

Murray Christian July 28th, 2013 09:43 PM

It's a bit of a crap shoot to find stuff but have you tried the free sound project?

Freesound.org - Freesound.org

As mentioned, you can make this sort of thing with a basic synth and some editing and you'll probably find people have and then uploaded them just because.

David W. Jones August 4th, 2013 10:19 AM

If you were so inclined, there are many older synths for sale on ebay which have gobs of these sounds in their libraries. One of my favorites from when I was doing a lot of radio work, was the Oberheim Matrix 1000.

Roger Gunkel August 5th, 2013 10:46 AM

I'm with Graham on this, make you own. It is extremely easy with virtually any mic and a simple audio programme with time and pitch shift. Think laterally and don't necessarily try to use the most obvious. For instance coughing onto a mic and slowing it down can sound like a very convincing lion roar, blow on a mic for explosions, placing materials of different textures against the mike and rubbing something slowly against the material can make various swishes and swoop sounds particularly when used with speed changes.

I once created a very convincing steam train sound for a video of a Lakeland steam engine. after the client accidentally erased the sound. I simply blew on a handkerchief draped over a mic in time with the smoke emissions from the engine's funnel.

Warning though, it can be great fun and very additictive.

Roger

Graham Bernard August 6th, 2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1807463)
I'm with Graham on this, ........ Warning though, it can be great fun and very additictive.

Roger

(Cough . . . cough . . . quite!)

In SONY Vegas, where EVERYTHING is possible, I do reversals of Audio; Pitch stretching and use the Elastique module; Multi tracks of Foley; echo and compression; Vegas also has an acoustic mirror option which allows me to mimic the sound environment of that which best resembles the footage so verbals can be Post-V/O-ed and have the Mirror applied - ALSO if you've taken a piece of environmental ambience of the shoot you can use that as the Acoustic Mirror Template - total VooDoo!

In some ways the Audio enhancements subtle or not, can make an otherwise bland piece of video - I know, I've done it . . . .

Get out there and play! - It's one of the best parts of this job. Don't deny yourself the pleasure of it.

G