How does this sound? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: How does this sound?

Other than very slight artifacts from what is probably the camera's noise gate, I thought this was a workable clip. I added some eq, light compression and a music track and it sits pretty well.
Attached Files
File Type: wav sample.wav (8.26 MB, 90 views)
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 06:17 PM   #17
Inner Circle

While I appreciate Duane's effort, still no articulation in the dialog. Though I've heard worse in b'cast news and such.
I've never encountered or even heard of a 'noise gate' on a camera. Possibly Duane means AGC, but I don't hear that either.
Kathy, How are you getting from the receiver to the cam's audio input.. and at what op level.. XLR, 1/4" TRS; balanced; unbal?
"I bought the mic already wired for Shure SLX. I didn't wire it myself"
- That doesn't mean it's wired correctly.. sh-- happens.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:49 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The Shure SLX is the weak link in the chain. I have an SLX kit here at work. It's so-so for live applications and inadequate for video applications, IMO.

It's been some time since I've used it. As I recall, the noise was high and it has a very poor high frequency response.

I also have the COS-11D mic, which sounds excellent. I've never put it through the SLX though.
Perhaps I should just forget all wireless system and get myself Sanken COS-11D with XLR connection
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:52 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
While I appreciate Duane's effort, still no articulation in the dialog. Though I've heard worse in b'cast news and such.
I've never encountered or even heard of a 'noise gate' on a camera. Possibly Duane means AGC, but I don't hear that either.
Kathy, How are you getting from the receiver to the cam's audio input.. and at what op level.. XLR, 1/4" TRS; balanced; unbal?
XLR from wireless receiver to the camera audio input. What's an op level?

Quote:
That doesn't mean it's wired correctly.. sh-- happens.
Well, I wouldn't know how to check it. I have another one of these mics I can double check to see if it sounds the same.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 08:22 AM   #20
Trustee

Kathy,

I agree with most of what has already been said. Compared to Matt Davis' "one hen" test with the same mic and camera, your recording seems to be deficient in high frequency information (high frequency rolloff... think of having a treble control turned down somewhat) so the intelligibility suffers. Also your recording seems to be noisier; some of that may be room noise but some is probably from electronics.

And yes, I hear some reflections from the room. They are not objectionable, and IMHO they are not the biggest problem here. They could be reduced either by using some sound blankets to try to deaden the room, or else by micing a little closer to the speaker's mouth (which allows you to turn down the gain, thereby reducing the level of the reflections).

I think you're on the right track. If you have a second identical mic, try that, and see whether both mics sound the same.

If you then conclude that the problem is not the mic (although of course both could be bad), then try recording directly into the camera without the wireless gear, and see whether that eliminates the problem.

NO wireless system will improve the sound. The best wireless system will degrade the sound so slightly that it won't be audible; the worst wireless system will be awful. When possible, skip the wireless link.

Good luck with it!
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:08 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
I am using Shure SLX series.
That's probably the problem. Your mic is way better than your wireless. That mic is probably overkill for a Sennheiser ew-112p g3 wireless system, which many people consider the minimum quality level for wireless.

Not that it ever hurts to have a first class mic. That just means that the weakest link in the chain is downstream from the mic. In this case, I'm guessing it's your wireless that's preventing you from getting the sound you want.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:36 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Kathy,

I agree with most of what has already been said. Compared to Matt Davis' "one hen" test with the same mic and camera, your recording seems to be deficient in high frequency information (high frequency rolloff... think of having a treble control turned down somewhat) so the intelligibility suffers. Also your recording seems to be noisier; some of that may be room noise but some is probably from electronics.

And yes, I hear some reflections from the room. They are not objectionable, and IMHO they are not the biggest problem here. They could be reduced either by using some sound blankets to try to deaden the room, or else by micing a little closer to the speaker's mouth (which allows you to turn down the gain, thereby reducing the level of the reflections).

I think you're on the right track. If you have a second identical mic, try that, and see whether both mics sound the same.

If you then conclude that the problem is not the mic (although of course both could be bad), then try recording directly into the camera without the wireless gear, and see whether that eliminates the problem.

NO wireless system will improve the sound. The best wireless system will degrade the sound so slightly that it won't be audible; the worst wireless system will be awful. When possible, skip the wireless link.

Good luck with it!
I did run some tests with wired mic but not my Sanken because I don't have the XLR version. I will post my tests shortly. Thanks
Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:38 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Kathy,

Good luck with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
That's probably the problem. Your mic is way better than your wireless. That mic is probably overkill for a Sennheiser ew-112p g3 wireless system, which many people consider the minimum quality level for wireless.

Not that it ever hurts to have a first class mic. That just means that the weakest link in the chain is downstream from the mic. In this case, I'm guessing it's your wireless that's preventing you from getting the sound you want.
OK. Would it be worth altering my Sanken mic so it's strictly XLR? Or what is considered THE BEST wireless system?
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:52 PM   #24
Inner Circle

The hard-wired version of the mic has a Phantom Pwr. adapter and/or battery module.

The 'best' made (in the USA) film sound wireless systems are IMO Lectrosonics and Zaxcom.
digital systems... but many use the Sennheiser G2/3 budget systems which can sound extremely good when properly set up... but that applies to the Lectrosonics and Zaxcoms as well. (due diligence)
But a $20 mic cable will out-perform the most expensive wireless system. (all other factors being equal)

Would it be worth altering my Sanken mic so it's strictly XLR? Or what is considered THE BEST wireless system?
- Until you or someone diagnoses the issue, I would be hesitant of spending money.

It maybe worthwhile to make an appointment and take your gear down to Gotham Audio (in midtown) and have someone there look at it. They are honest and not out to sell you something you don't need. Same goes for Professional Sound Services. (also in midtown)

I would gladly help you out personalty, but I'm currently working a (six day week/ 12hr day) feature in the Hudson Valley region till Sept.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:12 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
The hard-wired version of the mic has a Phantom Pwr. adapter and/or battery module.

The 'best' made (in the USA) film sound wireless systems are IMO Lectrosonics and Zaxcom.
digital systems... but many use the Sennheiser G2/3 budget systems which can sound extremely good when properly set up... but that applies to the Lectrosonics and Zaxcoms as well. (due diligence)
But a $20 mic cable will out-perform the most expensive wireless system. (all other factors being equal)

Would it be worth altering my Sanken mic so it's strictly XLR? Or what is considered THE BEST wireless system?
- Until you or someone diagnoses the issue, I would be hesitant of spending money.

It maybe worthwhile to make an appointment and take your gear down to Gotham Audio (in midtown) and have someone there look at it. They are honest and not out to sell you something you don't need. Same goes for Professional Sound Services. (also in midtown)

I would gladly help you out personalty, but I'm currently working a (six day week/ 12hr day) feature in the Hudson Valley region till Sept.
Thanks Rick. I will continue investigating until I get to the bottom of this.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:15 PM   #26
Major Player

OK. Here is another sample. Different room, different person, everything else the same.
What do you guys think?
Attached Files
File Type: wav Gary2.wav (4.18 MB, 87 views)
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:21 PM   #27
Major Player

And one more
Attached Files
File Type: wav Michael.wav (4.15 MB, 79 views)
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks Rick. I will continue investigating until I get to the bottom of this.
You might pick up one of these - EMP4S: Ambient Recording GmbH - so you can try the mic hardwired.
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
You might pick up one of these - EMP4S: Ambient Recording GmbH - so you can try the mic hardwired.
Thanks, would this work too?
Point Source Audio CON-XLR Adapter for Wireless Mics with TA4 Connectors
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
And one more
Both of those sound just fine to me. Whatever you're doing, it's working.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio