How does this sound? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 1st, 2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Major Player

How does this sound?

This is what I would consider my good or best audio recording. Can someone tell me if there is anything wrong with this. For example, does it seem flat, muffled, not clean, noise? I want to get the best audio recording I can but my ear is not trained to hear as well as others so I would appreciate any help. This audio is raw straight from my camera.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: wav Jon.wav (4.13 MB, 218 views)
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How does this sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
This is what I would consider my good or best audio recording. Can someone tell me if there is anything wrong with this. For example, does it seem flat, muffled, not clean, noise?
Sounds like the mic is too far away from the speaker. There's a lot of low frequency roll off, which may be intentional, IDK. But there's a fair amount of high frequency roll off too, which effects the speaker's sibilants and makes it somewhat more difficult to discriminate (understand the words). OTOH, not much in the way of quick reflections, suggesting a fairly large room. Levels are fairly low which also may be intentional, or may just be lost in translation in all the squeezing and moving that has to be done to move the audio over the 'net.

Not a bad first effort, but you can do better. And you will. The more you do, the better you get. I wish my first efforts had been as good.

Wait until you get more opinions before you tell us anything about how you did it. See if any of us guess correctly.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

From that sample it sounds Ok Kathy, a tad sibilant (ssss) but that sounds like your talent. When you become much more experienced, with the same voice try repositioning your COS-11D lav.

With your current experience you should leave it, but for practise, you could try notching it down with equalisation, narrow band at about 5Kh. but very slightly.

Be careful you don't get caught in the syndrome of trying to 'improve' audio, that's already satisfactory for your video.

Cheers.
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you both.
Question. So it seems like you both think the mic wasn't placed in the right spot. It was right on the second button of his shirt. Is that too low?
What does it mean "high frequency roll off" Roll off, specifically? The room was fairly large. It was recorded too low? Well it was peaking sometimes so I didn't want to record it any hotter. I was told it's better to record lower than clip it. Looking at the levels on the camera it seemed right to me, how else should i be judging audio levels?
Old August 1st, 2013, 11:28 PM   #5
Major Player

What brand of mic was it...... cheapy or a better quality mic?
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds View Post
What brand of mic was it...... cheapy or a better quality mic?
Sanken COS-11D. I think it is regarded as a better quality mic.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Major Player

I am trying to figure out what else could be causing my low quality audio recordings. I am recording directly to Canon C100. I just checked audio input settings and I don't have anything anything turned on such as Mic Att. or Limiter or Mic trimming. Is there anything else I could possibly have turned on on the camera that would cause the audio to sound like that?
For comparison's sake you can hear Matt Davis' recording to the same camera, using the same mic. Third recording down
https://soundcloud.com/mdmatv

Thanks
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The levels in the 'Jon.wav ' clip are OK, but it certainly does sound muffled, noisy and distant. Without actually seeing the setup it's difficult to say with the problem is. I'm not familiar with the Canon C100, but generally, digital cine cameras have very poor audio quality. Even the REDs suck, despite their 48k/24bit capability.
I would test using a high quality external preamp/ recorder to start.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:36 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
The levels in the 'Jon.wav ' clip are OK, but it certainly does sound muffled, noisy and distant. Without actually seeing the setup it's difficult to say with the problem is. I'm not familiar with the Canon C100, but generally, digital cine cameras have very poor audio quality. Even the REDs suck, despite their 48k/24bit capability.
I would test using a high quality external preamp/ recorder to start.
Rick,
Did you listen to Matt's recording I posted? How does that sound to you?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Major Player

Could it be my wireless receiver? I've noticed that there is audio output gain control on a side. Could it be causing the audio to sound distant?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Inner Circle

The Soundcloud clip sounds.. 'OK'. Assuming I'm listening to the right one; "One hen, one C100 - Sanken COS-11 into C100 and PIX220" .. BTW, the PIX220 is a Sound Devices product with (naturally) premium audio components so I suspect that audio was not recorded on the C100.

A wireless receiver would not normally make something 'sound distant' per se, but a wireless system COULD affect the quality. (audio frequency bandwidth, ect). As could an improperly wired mic, for a specific transmitter.
BTW, what wireless system are you using?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
The Soundcloud clip sounds.. 'OK'. Assuming I'm listening to the right one; "One hen, one C100 - Sanken COS-11 into C100 and PIX220" .. BTW, the PIX220 is a Sound Devices product with (naturally) premium audio components so I suspect that audio was not recorded on the C100.

A wireless receiver would not normally make something 'sound distant' per se, but a wireless system COULD affect the quality. (audio frequency bandwidth, ect). As could an improperly wired mic, for a specific transmitter.
BTW, what wireless system are you using?
I am using Shure SLX series.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:47 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I would try recording to a known good sounding recorder. If that exhibits the same sound characteristics, the mic, mic placement and/or wireless, wireless interface is the issue.
I have no hands-on experience with the Shure SLX series.. it's not top-shelf, but assume it should work OK. A few years ago I worked with a client's Shure PGX wireless, that sucked big time.\

As I previously stated, confirm the TA4 connector is wired correctly for the COS-11/ Shure combo.
Wiring schematics for the mic/transmitter are here. (assuming your using the SLX-1 bodypack transmitter)
SANKEN MICROPHONE CO .,LTD. | Q & A [ For SHURE ]
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
I would try recording to a known good sounding recorder. If that exhibits the same sound characteristics, the mic, mic placement and/or wireless, wireless interface is the issue.
I have no hands-on experience with the Shure SLX series.. it's not top-shelf, but assume it should work OK. A few years ago I worked with a client's Shure PGX wireless, that sucked big time.\

As I previously stated, confirm the TA4 connector is wired correctly for the COS-11/ Shure combo.
Wiring schematics for the mic/transmitter are here. (assuming your using the SLX-1 bodypack transmitter)
SANKEN MICROPHONE CO .,LTD. | Q & A [ For SHURE ]
I bought the mic already wired for Shure SLX. I didn't wire it myself.
I just ran a bunch of tests and I am going to evaluate them soon. I did test my mic with my wireless setup to an external recorder (but I don't have a good one, I just have a little Zoom H2N). I will report back when I listen to my test recordings.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:56 PM   #15
Inner Circle

The Shure SLX is the weak link in the chain. I have an SLX kit here at work. It's so-so for live applications and inadequate for video applications, IMO.

It's been some time since I've used it. As I recall, the noise was high and it has a very poor high frequency response.

I also have the COS-11D mic, which sounds excellent. I've never put it through the SLX though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio