DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wired lav recommendations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/518808-wired-lav-recommendations.html)

Kathy Smith September 9th, 2013 10:03 AM

Wired lav recommendations

Hi All,

Can someone recommend OK wired lav mic for under $300? I know you get what you paid for but if you had to work with this budget what would you get?

Kathy

Bruce Watson September 9th, 2013 11:17 AM

Re: Wired lav recommendations

The Oscar Sound Tech mics get quite good reviews when it comes to value. Sounds (and looks) just like a Tram 50, but you get a choice of either the 801 or 802 (one is for exposed mount, the other for hidden mount -- different response curves). Plus they make a nifty little device to convert from XLR to plug power (like Sennheiser mount), so you can use the mics for either wired or wireless, as the need of the moment dictates. All for a surprisingly low price.

Search around some, there's plenty of reviews and information about them on the 'net.

Chris Medico September 9th, 2013 11:26 AM

As noted above the Tram 50 is a good mic.

I've had good success with the Audio-Technica AT899 as well. They are a bit cheaper than the Tram and the sound quality is quite good.

Rick Reineke September 10th, 2013 10:32 AM

Both the OST (end fire) TL-40 and the (side fire) 801/802 sound very good, are available in the usual colors and are made in NJ, USA. Oscar Sound Tech's customer support is outstanding as well. As stated, the mics and XLR Phantom Pwr. adapters are 'affordable'.

Ty Ford September 12th, 2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy Smith (Post 1812076)
Hi All,

Can someone recommend OK wired lav mic for under $300? I know you get what you paid for but if you had to work with this budget what would you get?
Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Do you want or need to hide them? Sometimes, they don't really need to be hidden but producers want it that way "because we can." The downside to that can be muffled sound and clothing noise. Unless I can work with talent (and wardrobe) before we start, getting good quiet lav sound is a matter of luck. Double stick tape between the breasts allow for inconspicuous mounting that frequently works if the clothing isn't too tight and isn't made of nylon, rayon, or silk.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Taky Cheung September 12th, 2013 09:43 PM

You can also consider RODE PinMic. It's around $250 and there is no visible cord at all.

RODE PinMic Miniature Omnidirectional Microphone (Long Pin Version) | L.A. Color Pros)

My friend made this video with a rode PINMIC pin on his shirt. You can barely spotted where it is.

Ty Ford September 13th, 2013 05:28 AM

nicely done, but I find the color in the t-shirt under his shirt distracting.

Regards,

Ty Ford