Wired lav recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #1
Major Player

Wired lav recommendations

Hi All,

Can someone recommend OK wired lav mic for under $300? I know you get what you paid for but if you had to work with this budget what would you get?

Kathy
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Wired lav recommendations

The Oscar Sound Tech mics get quite good reviews when it comes to value. Sounds (and looks) just like a Tram 50, but you get a choice of either the 801 or 802 (one is for exposed mount, the other for hidden mount -- different response curves). Plus they make a nifty little device to convert from XLR to plug power (like Sennheiser mount), so you can use the mics for either wired or wireless, as the need of the moment dictates. All for a surprisingly low price.

Search around some, there's plenty of reviews and information about them on the 'net.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

As noted above the Tram 50 is a good mic.

I've had good success with the Audio-Technica AT899 as well. They are a bit cheaper than the Tram and the sound quality is quite good.
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Both the OST (end fire) TL-40 and the (side fire) 801/802 sound very good, are available in the usual colors and are made in NJ, USA. Oscar Sound Tech's customer support is outstanding as well. As stated, the mics and XLR Phantom Pwr. adapters are 'affordable'.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
Hi All,

Can someone recommend OK wired lav mic for under $300? I know you get what you paid for but if you had to work with this budget what would you get?
Kathy
Hi Kathy,

Do you want or need to hide them? Sometimes, they don't really need to be hidden but producers want it that way "because we can." The downside to that can be muffled sound and clothing noise. Unless I can work with talent (and wardrobe) before we start, getting good quiet lav sound is a matter of luck. Double stick tape between the breasts allow for inconspicuous mounting that frequently works if the clothing isn't too tight and isn't made of nylon, rayon, or silk.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You can also consider RODE PinMic. It's around $250 and there is no visible cord at all.

RODE PinMic Miniature Omnidirectional Microphone (Long Pin Version) | L.A. Color Pros)

My friend made this video with a rode PINMIC pin on his shirt. You can barely spotted where it is.

Old September 13th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #7
Inner Circle

nicely done, but I find the color in the t-shirt under his shirt distracting.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio