DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Oktavia MK-012 / Russian microphone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/519047-oktavia-mk-012-russian-microphone.html)

Heiner Boeck September 19th, 2013 09:20 AM

Oktavia MK-012 / Russian microphone

Hi:
Would it be a good idea to mount onto my new Canon XA-20 an Oktavia MK-012 hypercardoid shotgun mike? It is so nicely short that it wouldn't interfere with the lens. But is that Russian piece of sound-engineering a good choice as on-camera mike?
Thanx!

Andy Wilkinson September 19th, 2013 09:33 AM

Re: Oktavia MK-012 / Russian microphone

I read a few reviews of this mic a while back and I believe it is VERY susceptible to handling noise. So, no definitely not a good idea for on-camera mounting!

I have a AT875r which is a stella performer as a short shotgun considering its relatively small cost (£100). Maybe look at that one if you need to mount a mic on-camera for run and gun?

Nathan Moody September 19th, 2013 10:40 AM

The MK012 isn't a shotgun; it's a mic body to which capsules can be applied. Most people use a cardioid or hypercardioid capsule...which are not interference tube designs, therefore they're not shotgun mics.

The standard MK012 is pretty noisy; you will need a STRONG signal:noise ratio. The sound quality, however, is nice and warm. Great for voice. Not as neutral as others, though; the more narrow the capsule, the more the sound is colored. (the omni capsule is pretty great and underutilized IMO)

Heiner is right, the MK012 is pretty susceptible to handling noise. Use a Rycote lyre or rubberized suspension mount and that'll help. I've boomed with one before and it's doable, but it is pretty sensitive and you need to practice with it.

Always consider a modded MK012 from Michael Joly; they're quieter and sound richer in my opinion, but of course the better components make them more expensive and you might just want to go with a Senny ME66 or similar at that point.

Richard Crowley September 19th, 2013 10:48 AM

What are you shooting? Many people would say that there is NO microphone that is a "good idea" to mount ON a camera.

As Mr. Wilkinson and Mr. Moody mentioned, the Oktava brand is not noted for exellent signal-to-noise ratios, i.e. they tend to have higher self-noise than more expensive brands. And they are more sensitive to mechanical (handling) noise, which would make a substantial shock-mount essentially mandatory. And that rather mitigates the price advantage.

And yes, the MK-012 has three different mic capsules available: OmniDirectional, Cardioid, and HyperCardioid. The hyper version is the low-end favorite for indoor use on mic booms. I would agree that is probably would not be an outstanding choice for on-camera use.

Unless you are shooting close-up (PHYSICALLY close (<24 inches) , not zoomed-in) interviews, the microphone is TOO FAR away from the sound source to make ANY camera-mounted microphone ideal. Even if you are only trying to capture the "ambient sounds", it is too close to the camera and will pick up noise from the camera and from the camera operator.

Andy Wilkinson September 19th, 2013 11:38 AM

Heiner,

You might find it useful to browse this still often cited, in-depth 2008 review by Dan Brockett of a few well know mics (including the MK-012 and the AT875R).

As I Hear It - Choosing the Right Microphone

Gary Nattrass September 19th, 2013 11:59 AM

I've tested similar cardiod mics on my camera just to see how they fair and they are not suitable as they pick up servo and handling noise.

The AT875R would be my recoomendation although as Richard says a mic off camera is always better as it can get closer to the source.

For my cameras I just have a short ENG type mic fitted just in case I need to grab general sound and haven't time to rig a full mic set-up.

I have the panasonic AJ MC700P short shotgun on my cameras but an AT875R is usually the main mic with a rode PG2 grip and W/S6 softie.

Al Bergstein September 19th, 2013 11:57 PM

I own the oktava, and no, i never use it on my cameras. Always boomed or on a stand. The omni is incredibly wide, as it should be but test it with cans on! This mic is not a bad choice for theatrical work, get a matched pair, but use The 875 as recommended for eng. it's self powered with a built in battery.

Gary Nattrass September 20th, 2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bergstein (Post 1813876)
I own the oktava, and no, i never use it on my cameras. Always boomed or on a stand. The omni is incredibly wide, as it should be but test it with cans on! This mic is not a bad choice for theatrical work, get a matched pair, but use The 875 as recommended for eng. it's self powered with a built in battery.

Not true the AT875R is not battery powered and you will need phantom power it is the AT897 that is battery powered but like the rode NTG2 it is very long for a camera mic.

If you just want a cheap general purpose compact mic on board for effects and have phantom power available with XLR inputs get one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JJC-Black-...item48595ff5f8
For 1/4" input options the rode videomic is very popular.

Heiner Boeck September 24th, 2013 06:26 AM

Hi Andy: Thanx for the advice. Just ordered the AT875r. Seems to be what I am after.
Ciao: Heiner/FIN

Jay Massengill September 24th, 2013 12:42 PM

I have an AT875r on my XA10 and it works very well within the limitations of an on-camera mic.

The typical Canon mic holder is larger than the AT mic bodies, so you'll need something like a small section of thin neoprene mouse pad wrapped around the mic to get a more secure hold.

You'll also need an appropriate length XLR cable and if working outside a small furry wind cover will reduce the wind noise.

The AT875r has a fairly hot output, so I often have to engage the camera's attenuator to prevent overdriving the mic input. You have to listen for this, simply looking at the meters won't tell you if this is happening.

Gary Nattrass September 24th, 2013 03:12 PM

The AT875r should come with a couple of rubber O rings that will isolate it and make it fit camera mic mounts better!

Andy Wilkinson September 24th, 2013 03:37 PM

I posted a picture in this thread showing 2 'O' rings like those that come with the AT875R in a typical Canon mic mount, in this case on my C100. See post #3.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...one-mount.html

Jay Massengill September 24th, 2013 06:15 PM

I received mine long enough in the past I don't remember if the O-rings were present. And if they were, what happened to them. I had the mic in a snug shockmount for several years before putting it on the XA10 that I got last December.