AKG CK 97 replacement lavaliere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AKG CK 97 replacement lavaliere

Hi All, this is my first post so hello!

We do a fair bit of corporate stuff and tend to use a lav and a boom mic setup. We've tended to use AKG bluelines due to some of my guys broadcast experience and certainly in the UK a lot of our friend using them.

That said I was planning on replacing a damaged CK 97 and found it next to impossible to source one, I think AKG may have stopped producing it. So would welcome anyones thoughts and ideas on going with something else?
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: AKG CK 97 replacement lavaliere

Matt,
I don't know the sources you have available in the UK but B&H say's it's available but it's a 7 to 10 ship period. So it appears that it is still manufactured.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Cheers Don, the only place I could find had stock was in Germany...which is by no means a deal breaker. I've been considering the Rode PinMic but think my sound guy might turn into his nasty alter ego Audio Snob Man.

I'd say my budget is about $300 - £240.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thomann in Germany make life difficult for many UK dealers with more expensive kit, so most of the AKG dealers tend to just order them in when they sell them. Getting quite common - Even studiospares don't keep stock of these.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well they were who had one in stock, when you say difficult what exactly do you mean?
Old September 24th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thomann are excellent, and I spend very large amounts with them each year. They are quick, efficient and best of all, cheap! The difficulty is for UK suppliers, who very often make no margin if they sell at Thomann's prices - and of course, Thomann advertise their 3 year guarantee, and their offer that you can send stuff back for a full refund if you don't like it. This is a legal requirement for online sales anyway, but most UK dealers don't make it into a 'feature'. As a result, UK dealers often don't get a look-in. This means many won't buy much stock, because their sales are slower, because they are more expensive. The only issue with Thomann is mains connectors - they always come with Euro plugs, not UK 13A ones.

Studiospares CK97 page has actually gone since yesterday!

Thomann is £124
UK Dealer 1 £155
None of the other culprits in the UK even have it listed as stock. A few internet hits show people who used to keep them, but Thomann does seem the only solution.

If you like them - then just talk to Thomann (who also do extra discount if you buy lots from them)

Annoyingly, when you phone them up, they switch to perfect English as soon as they hear your voice. I cannot fault them!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I had mean't to come back and say thank you for the recommendations. All sorted now!
Matt Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio