Sennheiser Mke 600 vs AT 835r at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 29th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Sennheiser Mke 600 vs AT 835r

I need some advice please.

I am replacing my Rode NTG 2 because it is not sensitive enough for my needs. I purchased an AT 875r to use with my Canon XA-10 and with my Tascam DR100II and DR 40. The AT 875r works great and is much more sensitive then the the NTG 2. Although I have a SD Mix Pre, I want to be able to record directly to the Tascams, and the NTG 2 needs to be up in the 90% gain range to get decent levels. The Tascams get noisy at that level. I also purchased a Sennheiser MKE 600 which according to the specks is supposed to be more sensitive then the AT875r. In my tests they were about the same, and if anything the Sennheiser was less sensitive. To my hear the sound quality is very close with the edge going to the Sennheiser.

Here is my question. With the two mics being so close in performance, should I keep the Sennheiser? I could get two AT 875r's and have money left over. I know I am giving up battery option on the Sennheiser, but all my devices supply phantom power. The Sennheiser is a bit longer and my test also show slightly better side rejection. I will mainly be recording dialog. I also have a Rode blimp and dead cat that I am worried that the short AT 875r might get lost in. I haven't tested that set up yet.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Weistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Kino-Eye

Re: Sennheiser Mke 600 vs AT 835r

My advice (the short version) is to primarily trust you own ears, while keeping your purchases within your budget so the pocketbook remains happy too, and if you can ever get more done creatively with one option vs. another with all else being equal (keeping ears and pocketbook happy) then go for the option that gives you more creative options.

Two microphones can be quite useful in a lot of situations, I'll often use one mic hand-held in a pistol grip and a second on the camera. I got two inputs on my camcorder and I think it's wise to use each to the best creative advantage. I often have one person in front of the camera and another to the side, and while handling two leaves to more complicated camera fu, it's worth it.
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Major Player

• Keep the Sennheiser MKE 600.
  • If the SD is the MixPre-D it has a digital out and will feed the digital input of the Tascam DR100-II. This will give you vastly better quality than the analogue inputs of the Tascam. If it's the original MixPre and not the "D" version - I would get rid and get the "D" version.
  • The length of the interference tube has a direct relationship to the directivity. The shorter the tube, the less directive the microphone is. The length of the MKE 600 is designed to give about the same directivity as the professional MKH 416 at a much lower price.
  • The Rřde Blimp is rather heavy - personally I would have gone for teh Rycote S-series which is, I think, slightly cheaper and with a much better suspension.
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #4
Trustee

Re: Sennheiser Mke 600 vs AT 875r

Plus, you never know when having a battery-powered mic will save the day.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the replys everyone. Since I can still return the Sennheiser I think I will, knowing that I can pick another one up. I will run with the AT 875 for a while and see how it goes. Any one in the market for a Rode NTG 2?
Tom Weistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 12:52 AM   #6
Trustee

Re: Sennheiser Mke 600 vs AT 875r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill View Post
Plus, you never know when having a battery-powered mic will save the day.

Just to add a note that a battery phantom power adaptor can be even more useful to have in your kit bag than an average sounding battery mic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio