Rode Smartlav at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 30th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
New Boot

Rode Smartlav

Hey everyone!

So I'm a very low budget film maker getting more gear. I've heard a lot about the Rode Smartlav. Can anyone offer their reviews or opinions on it? Or if there has already been a post made about it, please point me in that direction!

If you don't think the Smartlav is very good, feel free to offer an alternative wired lav! I have a Zoom H2n, so I'd most likely run the lav into that. Preferably sub-$100!

Thanks!
Alex Barni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Rode Smartlav

The 'Smart Lav' is manufactured to suit mobile phone and tablet use, the pin connections are different than for pocket recorder devices. (it might work but probably won't).

If you want a cheap mic ebay has many listed.... but like ALL things you get what you pay for, I have heard a couple and would be regarded as marginal at best but still better than he camera top mic.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Search for OST, Oscar SoundTech mics on this and other audio forums. An 'affordable' pro mic.. more than a hundred dollars though, by the time you get the desired connector, clips, windscreen, shipping..
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Major Player

I've also been looking at getting a cheap wired lav mic. After a bit of research, I came across this:

Audio-Technica ATR3350
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664437-REG/Audio_Technica_ATR3350_ATR3350_Omnidirectional_Condenser_Lavalier.html
It's only $20 US and surprisingly has great reviews on B&H Photo.

I'm planning on buying it so I'll let you know how it goes.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio