Removing echo - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 6th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Removing echo

Seth, it's even worse at low frequencies than that plot suggests. This plot below is more representative (though not quite accurate across the whole range.)

At high frequencies, there is a tight lobe, and many smaller lobes off-axis that can cause comb filtering.

At mid frequencies, the pattern is wider and smoother. You can get a rear lobe too. (For whatever reason, this plot doesn't show the high and mid rear lobes to be as strong as they often are.)

At lower frequencies, the lobe gets wider. This is the real culprit. If you don't have bass traps in the room, the reverberation can pollute the sound with a heavy, underwater feel.

At even lower frequencies, the mic becomes omni-directional, which would be represented with a circle.

I've got a 36 ft x 36 ft barn that we shoot in. We added moving blankets, which remove the high frequency reflections, but not the lows. It sounds okay in there to the naked ear. By adding the blankets, hand claps even sound decent. But with a shotgun, the low frequency reverb is terrible. The poor-man's way of solving it is to EQ out the lows in post, but you still hear the "echo" and the voices become thin. The better solution, of course, is a hypercardioid mic, placed as close as possible.

This plot (follow the link), from the Sennheiser MKE400, shows the stronger rear lobes that can occur, even with very short shotguns...
http://d1c86o3nm55du5.cloudfront.net...l/235994_a.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Removing echo-lobar-mic.jpg  
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #17
Major Player

Alrighty. Well I tried the Izotope RX3 Advanced demo, and it got rid of the echo completely. Unfortunately when I go to render the effect in Avid MC, it spits out a whole bunch of errors and crashes.

I was going to try Dyvision Reverb Remover but I don't run Windows.

Does anyone else know of any other software that might help?

Thanks in advanmce.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #18
Slash Rules!

I see I'm too late, but I was going to suggest the plugin Unveil by Zynaptiq. Works with many different programs, and they have a free demo. I think it runs 300 or so (so same as Izotope?). It works. It's amazing.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
I see I'm too late, but I was going to suggest the plugin Unveil by Zynaptiq. Works with many different programs, and they have a free demo. I think it runs 300 or so (so same as Izotope?). It works. It's amazing.
Not too late! I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio