DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/519758-sennheiser-evolution-g2-100-series.html)

Laffan Nasser November 2nd, 2013 10:44 PM

Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series

Hello
I have the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Lavalier Wireless Microphone , I would like to add a handled Wireless mic to this setup , any recommendations please .
Thanks

James Kuhn November 3rd, 2013 10:04 AM

Re: Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series

Laffan Nasser...based on a quick Inter-Web check, it appears the Senn. Evolution G2 100 series does not include the lovable "Butt-Plug" SKP 100 Plug-in Transmitter. That will be the first item you'll need to get for your 'handheld MIC'. I don't know if the Frequencies on your 'G2 Series' will be compatible with a newly purchased 'SKP100 Butt Plug'. That could be a problem. I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

Now, as to a MIC recommendation. My EV RE50N/D-B Dynamic MIC has been as solid as a rock. It doesn't get a huge amount of use, but it is a robust piece of field kit with a very good reputation. That's why I bought it.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

J.

Rick Reineke November 3rd, 2013 10:09 AM

Plenty of choices. Depends on your budget, quality expectations and style. Assuming you have the SK100 bodypack transmitter, any that are wired for Sennheiser Evolution G series body pack transmitters will work and would have the 3.5mm (1/8")TRS locking plug.
For about $400USD, the Countryman E6 would be an excellent choice. A good budget headset mic would be the Oscar SoundTech HM-701. According to the 2013 OST price list the HM-701 would cost $80 + $15 for the Sennheiser plug and about $7-10 shipping. (in the US)
I have not personally used the HM-701, but OST's lavaliere mics are highly regarded.

Bruce Watson November 3rd, 2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1819105)
I have the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Lavalier Wireless Microphone, I would like to add a handled Wireless mic to this setup, any recommendations please.

An http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/102900-REG/Electro_Voice_16502345_RE50N_D_B_N_DYM_Dynamic.html was my first choice -- it's the go-to reporter mic in the US. In Europe, it's counterpart is the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475910-REG/Sennheiser_MD42_MD_42_ENG_Handheld_Microphone.html Both of these are omnidirectional, both work fine in quite noisy locations (I use my RE50N/D-B on trade show floors). If you've got really noisy environments, you might want the Sennheiser RD46, which has a cardiod pattern, and therefore requires better technique, and exhibits some proximity effect. All these mics can be more or less easily found on the used market.

For a transmitter, the SKP-100 G3 will work fine with your G2 receiver, provided they are using the same block of frequencies of course. The SKP-100 will power a dynamic mic just fine (all the mics I talked about above are dynamic mics), but does not provide phantom power for condenser mics. If you want the added flexibility to provide phantom power to a mic, that takes the more expensive SKP 300 plug on transmitter.

My recommendation? The EV mic with an SKP-100. I've been using this combination for a few years not and never had it fail, even in the middle of Manhattan, NYC (aka "RF Hell").

Gary Nattrass November 3rd, 2013 11:43 AM

I have an SKP100 so can use any dynamic mic with my G2 receivers, I also have a hand held cardiod G2 stick radio mic for more challenging presentation situations or if I need to provide a PA mic as well as a hand held for pres.

Colin McDonald November 3rd, 2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1819146)
Plenty of choices. Depends on your budget, quality expectations and style. Assuming you have the SK100 bodypack transmitter, any that are wired for Sennheiser Evolution G series body pack transmitters will work and would have the 3.5mm (1/8")TRS locking plug.
For about $400USD, the Countryman E6 would be an excellent choice. A good budget headset mic would be the Oscar SoundTech HM-701. According to the 2013 OST price list the HM-701 would cost $80 + $15 for the Sennheiser plug and about $7-10 shipping. (in the US)
I have not personally used the HM-701, but OST's lavaliere mics are highly regarded.

Rick - I read it that Laffan was looking for a handheld mic as well.

Laffan - if you stick to any of the recommended dynamic or battery powered mics, one of these SKP 100 plug-in transmitters is the way to go.

Don't even think about a plug-in which supplies phantom power (SKP 2000) - you could buy a whole new system for what that would cost!

John Willett November 3rd, 2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1819105)
Hello
I have the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Lavalier Wireless Microphone , I would like to add a handled Wireless mic to this setup , any recommendations please .
Thanks

Any Sennheiser G1, G2 or G3 series - 100, 300, 500, 2000 series.

With the mic. head of your choice.

They will all work fine (as long as you choose the same frequency band).

Rick Reineke November 3rd, 2013 02:22 PM

"Rick - I read it that Laffan was looking for a handheld mic as well"
I see.. must have mis-read it.
I agree, the butt-plug (SKP 100 plug-in) transmitter would be a good choice with one of the aforementioned mics.

Gary Nattrass November 4th, 2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1819165)
Rick - I read it that Laffan was looking for a handheld mic as well.

Laffan - if you stick to any of the recommended dynamic or battery powered mics, one of these SKP 100 plug-in transmitters is the way to go.

Don't even think about a plug-in which supplies phantom power (SKP 2000) - you could buy a whole new system for what that would cost!

Note that the SKP500 will also provide phantom power for condensor mics and I use one with my wireless AT875 shotgun set-up.

Andy Wilkinson November 4th, 2013 06:30 AM

I use the SKP500 (G2 series) with either my Sennheiser e835 mic on top for hand-held stuff or one of the many other mics I have for table top, lectern etc. type uses (where I can't easily boom or hard wire back to the cams).

It's a very useful item, having the phantom power option, but I would say the e835 plus SKP500 locked directly onto it's base is starting to get a bit heavy and long for some of the people I hand it too.

Therefore, I have used it with a 1 metre XLR cable between both items. Then a "reporter" person can clip the SKP500 onto his/her belt (mine came with a case and belt clip) and more easily interview the subjects with just the lighter e835 in their hand, all the time leaving me free of any wires that might trip people up as we both rove around. Only done this a couple of times but it did work really well on both occasions.

Great bit of kit.