Sending a wireless feed from Tascam DR100 mmii at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 13th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #1
New Boot

Sending a wireless feed from Tascam DR100 mmii

So I need to wirelessly send a feed from my Tascam DR100 mkii into camera via a set of Sennheiser G3s. Am I right in thinking that as the output of the DR100 is a 3.5mm stereo LINE level, I will need to convert the signal to MIC level to go into the G3 transmitter? If so, can anyone recommend the right cable for the job?

Thanks.
Luke Hollingworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sending a wireless feed from Tascam DR100 mmii

The Sk100 G3 transmitter is perfectly capable of receiving a line level signal, there's no need for a conversion to a mic level.

You will however need a line input cable that is not supplied in the kit (you can make one yourself).

The pinout is on the page 32 of the transmitter's manual.

The tip is connected to the sleeve of the 3.5mm TRS connector and they're both tied to the ground and connected to pin 1 on the XLR connector. The ring carries a positive line level signal and is connected to the pin no.2 on the XLR.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Trustee

I seem to recall that the sennheiser G2 and G3 system can be unbalanced line or mic input depending on which connector is connected on the TRS 3.5mm jack.

Tip = mic.
Ring = line
Sleeve = screen

So to get both left and right outputs from your tascam you will need a stereo 3.5mm jack to a 3.5mm stereo jack with just the sleeve and ring connected.

3.5mm stereo from tascam

Tip = left
ring = right
Sleeve = screen

3.5mm stereo jack G2/3

Ring: Left+right +ve
Sleeve: screen (tip connected to ground)
Old November 13th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #4
New Boot

great, thanks guys.

So would this cable do the trick?
Sennheiser CL 2 (CL2) Balanced XLR line input cable for G2 pocket transmitters, 1.5m length (p/n 04840)

Obviously the xlr end would have to connect to a xlr to 3.5mm converter to go into the DR100, but that should work right?
Old November 13th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Trustee

Yes it would work but bear in mind you are going from a stereo 3.5mm output to a mono XLR input so you may not get both output channels so check you stereo to mono adaptor.
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The outputs on the DR100 are 'line level', you need a cable wired as Gary stated.
L+R (or L or R. if mono) from the Tascam's 3.5mm connector to the 'Ring' terminal of the Sennheiser SK100 bodypack transmitter. The 'Tip' terminal on the transmitter end must be tied to the shield terminal only.
You could use an attenuated cable to feed the transmitter mic level but the bias current (mic power) could be a noise issue without a blocking capacitor.
You're probably familiar with the receiver> camera connection already.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #7
New Boot

Thank you guys. Still a little unsure of exactly what I'm looking for. Is there a certain cable I can buy online to do this? I'm no good at making cables so if I can order one, that would be most helpful!
Old November 14th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I 'think' the optional Sennheiser "CL-2" line-in cable would work. (XLR-F to 3.5mm). but you would still need an additional adapter to go from stereo 3.5mm to XLR-M.
I would recommend finding a pro audio tech person or pro audio shop to make one.
Soundkit ( http://www.soundkit.co.uk/ ) could most likely make or recommend something that will work.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #9
New Boot

Ok thanks a lot for all your help, much appreciated!
Luke Hollingworth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio