DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   audio track question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/520042-audio-track-question.html)

Rob Cantwell November 15th, 2013 06:52 AM

audio track question

Forgive my lack of proper terms as i know very little about audio.
I recorded a clip using a Sennheiser ew 100 G3 evolution wireless eng pack, and a SKM 100 G3 radio microphone.
I noticed on the track that the L channel is ok but the R channel is way over the norm, like the waveform is huge in comparison, I've been able to balance it out ok, but just wondering what causes this and how do I prevent it happening in the future.

Jay Massengill November 15th, 2013 07:24 AM

Re: audio track question

What device did you record the audio on, and how was the receiver connected to this device?

Rick Reineke November 15th, 2013 11:47 AM

Likely a cable or camera/recorder settings issue..probably has nothing to do with the G3 system itself.
Just use the Left track, it's mono anyway. Most audio or video software has a mono file mode option which allows choosing which side to use. How do you do this? What editing software are you using?
For instance in Sony Vegas, right-clicking the clip/event and choosing "Channels" has the options "Left, Right or Both"

Rob Cantwell November 15th, 2013 01:30 PM

the audio was recorded onto a Sony HXR-NX using the wireless reciever with an XLR connection, i havent noticed this before, so was wondering what caused it.

Yeah i solved it by cancelling out the right channel, there's also a balance effect in Premier Pro

Gary Nattrass November 15th, 2013 01:45 PM

I would check your camera switch settings as it sounds like one channel may have been on auto with the other on manual or one channel had an attenuator switched on.

I presume you are recording dual left and right from a single input or it may be that you have radio mic on one channel and the camera mic on the other?

lots of variations possible and as I am not hugely familiar with this camera more detail of what and how you had things hooked up would be needed to comment more.

Rick Reineke November 15th, 2013 02:59 PM

"Yeah i solved it by cancelling out the right channel, there's also a balance effect in Premier Pro"
- I'm sure Premier Pro has an option to convert a channel/file to mono, which would be panned to center.
.. A quick Google search produced many PP tutorial hits, frequently mentioned were "Down-mix" and 'File to Mono'. Read the manual.

Rob Cantwell November 15th, 2013 03:29 PM

thanks for the replies,
I was aware somewhat about submixing and converting stereo to mono or dual mono, i had done that before, what wasn't clear to me was what result i'd get after converting to dual mono, anyway i'm not that bothered with that because as i said, that was sorted easy enough.

I was more interested in why it happened, I think Gary might be onto something, i remember fiddling with the internal and external audio until i thought i'd turned off the internal mic because i didn't want any handling noise and i only wanted to pick up audio from the radio mic. When i've time i'll test it out to see if this is the case.
thanks everyone for the input.

Rob Cantwell November 18th, 2013 06:49 AM

the solution to this was really simple, i had everything set correctly, except i must have turned the R audio dial way up before recording.

So note to self, check and double check the audio levels and dials.

thanks again for the input.