How to isolate on-camera mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 20th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Major Player

How to isolate on-camera mic

Hi all,

I was shooting a sports event with my JVC HM600 the other day. The camera was handheld, and I was using a shotgun mic mounted to the camera.

I don't often use a camera mounted mic as my primary source of audio, and I noticed afterwards that noise made by me touching the camera controls was being recorded.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a product that may help eliminate this? The Rode shock mount seems good, but it doesn't look like it can be attached to the existing microphone mount on the camera.

Any tips appreciated :)

Cheers.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: How to isolate on-camera mic

1) What "shotgun mic mounted to the camera"? Are you talking about the microphone that comes with the camera, or some other microphone?
2) Microphone mounts built into the camera are typically not designed for 3rd party accessories. They are what they are. Most of us would never think of using an on-camera microphone, ESPECIALLY the one that comes with the camera.
3) If you want to use a better shock mount, then you will likely need to attach it to the regular "shoe" mount. There are several different kinds of adapters for 1/4-20 or 3/8-20 or 5/8-27 threads for attaching various kinds of accessories.
4) Camera and operator noise is one of the big reasons on-camera microphones are considered mostly unsuitable. Excessive distance from the subject is another of the top reasons why on-camera mics are terrible.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Trustee

Well, sometimes in news and sports it's a cluster**** and you just can't do it any other way. Rode makes a neat holder that is, in turn, held by your on-camera mike holder. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/463089-REG/Rode_SM5_SM5_Shotgun_Microphone.html
I actually made several of these using the basic Rode holder and some PVC pipe before Rode did, and found that they got the mike up and away, let me orient it to stay out of the lens, and provided pretty good isolation in the bargain.

If you have to go on-camera mike, it might solve the problem.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Major Player

I didn't have a choice but to use an on-camera microphone unfortunately. It was run-and-gun shooting in the bush, so I attached my Rode NTG2 to the camera. No it wasn't the built-in camera mic, I don't use that at all.

I'll have a look at that Rode mount, thanks for that. Looks perfect.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 01:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Also, I would suggest you look at the Rycote Invision Video mounts. Their Lyre suspension system is rugged and superior in isolation of a shotgun in my view.

I have had several Rode SM mounts. I have found they break after a year or two (plastic fractures at the base). I have posted about this on here (a few years back) and it was suggested I tried the Rycote system - so much better so I am glad I did!
Old November 21st, 2013, 02:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

More info here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...nt-broken.html
Old November 21st, 2013, 03:47 AM   #7
Trustee

Agreed with Mr Wilkinson, try Rycote. I've used both, and I really didn't like the Rode, very big and bulky and industrial.

InVision™ Video » Rycote
- this is the one that mounts on your cold shoe

There's a few different versions of this. This is new, and interesting, it's a replacement for the camera's own mount:
http://www.rycote.com/products/softi...ount_with_mhr/

I had this one with a previous camera, it was great for isolating handling noise:
http://www.rycote.com/products/softi...ount_with_cca/

Last edited by Mike Beckett; November 21st, 2013 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Replaced Amazon links with Rycote.com links
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 04:42 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks all, that Softie Lyre Mount (interesting name) looks like the one to go for.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio