DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser G3 Multiple Receiver Placement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/520464-sennheiser-g3-multiple-receiver-placement.html)

Peter Riding December 5th, 2013 06:08 AM

Sennheiser G3 Multiple Receiver Placement

I'm trying to tidy up my use of my three Sennheiser G3 radio kits. I'm unsure whether its bad practice to have the three receiver units in close proximity to each other, as in the linked photo. Would they cause interference or degrade the performance of each other? If I added a fourth unit would that cause any problems n.b. is there a tipping point above which you should not let the units be close?

Also, how important is it that the XLR cables do not touch the antennae? If I were to use the 3.5mm cables rather than XLR cables would that have any bearing on proximity of the receivers / touching the antennae?

Self-taught in case you hadn't guessed :- ) Thanks.

http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/images/senn-g3.jpg

Pete

Rick Reineke December 6th, 2013 11:39 AM

Re: Sennheiser G3 Multiple Receiver Placement

According to your image, you should be fine. I often use four G3s in Petrol bag w/ dual side pouches (2x2 in close proximity on either side of the bag), and have not encountered any issues. I would not run any cables in parallel close to the antennas, this goes for the G3 portable receiver's audio output cable also, which functions as the secondary (diversity) antenna.
The most important procedure is using channels in the same bank that will not inter-modulate and choosing a vacant TV channel or one with the least modulation (preferably-80dBm or more with an external scanner or the Sennheiser Frequency Finder app) then manually check for RF when arriving at the location. The receiver's internal scan function will only ID strong RF and is not adequate in high RF environments. Line of sight should be maintained as much as possible as well audio gain stage levels.

Renat Zarbailov December 6th, 2013 10:12 PM

I have a G3 transmitter/receiver setup (frequency range - B: 626-668 MHz) and I want to buy a second unit to attach both receivers to Blackmagic Design ATEM Production Studio 4K in order to have two lav interviews. So my question is; should I get the second G3 transmitter/receiver setup in the same B band frequency range - B: 626-668 MHz as the first one or is it better to get a different frequency range to avoid signal interference? I see G3 comes in 3 band flavors A, B, and G. What's the difference and why?

Any help is truly appreciated!

P.S. what is a better lav for indoor interviews for this setup?

Thanks!

Rick Reineke December 7th, 2013 01:27 PM

I would get the same frequency block. . In your two person scenario, just choose a different channel in the same frequency bank, which should have no inter-modulation issues. Obviously, the receivers should be assigned to separate audio channels.
Having two systems in the same block will give you more options, for instance, the same audio could be sent to two cameras or other destinations from a single transmitter, providing the receivers are on the same frequency.
FWIW, multiple receivers can be used with a single transmitter on the same frequency, but not the other way around.
One of the reasons for having different frequency blocks allows one to choose a less populated block for a specific area or country.

Renat Zarbailov December 8th, 2013 03:46 PM

Thanks Rick!

I ordered the same model as my other G3 setup and will follow your directions as far as the settings of channels go.

Both G3 transmitter/receiver combos come with ME2 lav mics, and I am curious if it's worth getting better lavs to shoot two-person interviews indoors.

Thanks again!!

Peter Riding December 8th, 2013 05:52 PM

Thanks for answering my query Rick, much appreciated. Shame this forum doesn't have a Thanks button to use instead of creating a new post that other members don't really need to read.

Renat, I got all mine in the same block, mainly so that all the units are as interchangeable as possible to insure I can carry on working if one develops a fault. Also, if you find you need e.g. more transmitters than receivers because a number of talents are to speak at intervals after each other rather than at the same time, it helps if all the transmitters can talk to say one receiver which you simply change channel in the same bank of the same block ..... if you see what I mean. This might be easier than juggling 3 4 or 5 different receivers when one would do the job by changing the channel with a press of its rocker switch. Busy banks aren't really a problem in my area but may be in Brooklyn I guess.

I'm happy enough with the ME2 lavs but absolute audio quality is not a high priority with my clients in my work. They may be "entry level" for Sennheiser but they're not exactly poor performers :- )

Pete

Rick Reineke December 9th, 2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renat Zarbailov (Post 1823680)
Both G3 transmitter/receiver combos come with ME2 lav mics, and I am curious if it's worth getting better lavs to shoot two-person interviews indoors.

It depends.. on your budget and expectations. The ME series mics are 'usable', but for optimal quality, 'better' mic(s) are recommended and there are many good choices available. IMO, the Oscar SoundTech, mics offer very good sound quality without breaking the bank. Their TL40 is a relatively small 'endfire' lav, whilst the OST801& 802 are 'sidefire' flat mics. (almost identical to a TramTR50) The 801 has higher presence peak for hiding under clothing. All are omni directional and highly regarded by most professional sound mixers. They are made in NJ and OST's customer service is exceptional. For an additional $85, an XLR Phantom Power adapter is available for using the mic in a hardwired configuration. (and would be recommended for a sit-down interview scenario)
I am not employed or have any connection with OST other than an end user.