Sennheiser 8060 for indoors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 8th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Sennheiser 8060 for indoors?

For shooting in some cramped rooms, which are not sound treated, which mic do you suggest. I want to use it in the boom. I am already using the MKH 416 for outdoor applications and sound treated studios.

How is the Sennheiser 8060 for indoors? Or shall I consider any other microphone.
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sennheiser 8060 for indoors?

I recall reading the Sennheiser 8060 is a little better than other shotguns for inside use.. But it's still a interference tube mic and another interior mic like the MKH50 should be considered. In addition, many of the early 80 series have had noise issues and Sennheiser's response varies from full replacement to full denial a problem exists.
Here's the tread from the JW group.
Seinnheiser MKH 8060 - Equipment - JWSOUNDGROUP
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
For shooting in some cramped rooms, which are not sound treated, which mic do you suggest. I want to use it in the boom. I am already using the MKH 416 for outdoor applications and sound treated studios.

How is the Sennheiser 8060 for indoors? Or shall I consider any other microphone.
Not a shotgun. In cramped rooms, probably nothing more directional than a hypercardiod pattern. Say a Sennheiser MKH 50, or even a MKH 40 maybe.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #4
Major Player

The 8060 *is* good for indoor work - this came from the product manager at Sennheiser himself.

Though, personally, I would use an 8050 for this.

The noise problem was an earthing issue, as far as I am aware, with early samples of the 8020 and 8040 and was eventually fixed. Anyone with the problem had mics repaired or replaced.
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The noise problem was an earthing issue, as far as I am aware, with early samples of the 8020 and 8040 and was eventually fixed. Anyone with the problem had mics repaired or replaced.
Have you read the thread Mr. Reineke referenced in his post? It's not just the 8020 / 8040, and people who make their living using these mics are still having problems with their mics, and with Sennheiser.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
Have you read the thread Mr. Reineke referenced in his post? It's not just the 8020 / 8040, and people who make their living using these mics are still having problems with their mics, and with Sennheiser.
I *have* read the thread - it seems that the problem is fixed for those who have new/replacement units.

It's a few of the older ones that have been "fixed" that have not always been fixed.

I know Sennheiser themselves are keen to sort, not sure about the various distributors, though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio