DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Which mic for XA20 - DM-100 vs NTG-1 vs VMP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/521070-mic-xa20-dm-100-vs-ntg-1-vs-vmp.html)

David Zicari January 14th, 2014 05:48 PM

Which mic for XA20 - DM-100 vs NTG-1 vs VMP

Little background info. I film drag racing for a local tuner shop I'm involved with. My old camera, Canon HF S10 equipped with DM-100, did a fantastic job of handling the audio. See example below.

So now I'm upgrading to a Canon XA20. I feel like the NTG-1 is going to suit me best, but everything I says to use for interviews only within a few feet of the mic. Obviously that is not going to happen with the nature of the videos I do.

I saw a few videos online of the VideoMic Pro that sounded great. I'm hoping the NTG-1 is an almost direct comparison to the VMP. Because then this would make it an easy decision.

So instead of asking for what mic(s) do the job to the most professional level, the question I'm going to ask, is how does the DM-100 compare to something like the NTG-1? Should I expect similar sound quality and range? Is the NTG-1 and the VMP the same thing?

If you have any other suggestions regarding mics to use that are camera mounted in this scenario, feel free to suggest them, but I'm kind of leaning towards wanting a Rode mic.

Thank you very much!

Rainer Listing January 14th, 2014 08:24 PM

Re: Which mic for XA20 - DM-100 vs NTG-1 vs VMP

Why don't you just get a G30 and keep using your DM 100? Apart from the XLR the G30 and XA20 are practically the same camera. You can mount the DM100 direct on the back shoe of the G30 and not have to worry about batteries and forgetting to turn it off and on. The VMP is an electret like the DM100, the NTG's are condensors. Of the VMP and the DM100, the DM100 is the cleanest, the VMP is more sensitive, you don't need it.

Tim Lewis January 14th, 2014 08:54 PM

I own a couple of Canon HF200's. One came with the DM-100. I also have the original Røde Video Mic. The only XLR mic's I have used have been those supplied with my cameras, a Sony PDX10 and a JVC GY HD110.

I cannot give you a comparison to the NTG-1, but my experiences with the other two are that the Røde is a much better mic than the Canon. I recently used my HF200 and the DM-100 to shoot my UWOL/DVC piece and what I found is, in windy conditions that the Røde gave much less wind noise than the Canon. I am currently looking at ways I can reduce the wind noise in the Canon. I will post the results if I succeed.

As Rainer suggests, the G20 (G25 seems to be the current version on Canon Australia) and DM-100 may be a good solution for you to utilise existing gear and economise on expenditure. This camera still has a separate microphone port (3.5mm stereo) so you could always get the Røde later and use a shoe converter to mount it.

Rainer Listing January 14th, 2014 09:38 PM

Sorry Tim - I meant the G30 (edited post but you beat me).

David Zicari January 14th, 2014 10:16 PM

Thanks for the input so far guys, its been very helpful.

I was torn with saving money and getting the G30 too, but the top handle would greatly benefit me I feel, and that's the biggest single reason for wanting XA20 over G30. If the G30 had a top handle that accepted the mini shoe, this would be a done deal already.

As far as existing gear, it was all sold to move to a DSLR setup, which has been sold am now moving up again.

So am I correct from what you've guys said, that the VMP and NTG1 are not the same microphones internally and will produce different sounds?

Tim Lewis January 14th, 2014 10:52 PM

For my two cents worth, and taking into account the further details you have provided, I would go the XA20 with the Rode NTG-1. I would also ensure I got a foam windshield and dead cat with the microphone.

From what I can see from Rainer's posts, the NTG-1 and VMP are not the same inside.

Tom Weistar January 15th, 2014 01:02 AM

Take a look at the AT 875R. About $150. Way better than the VMP or the DM-100, I have had both of those. I recently got the AT 875 to replace my Rode NTG 2. The AT 875 is much more sensitive then the NTG 2 and sounds quite good. It does need phantom power though, which your XA 20 can provide. It is very short and fits on a camera nicely and will fit a proper wind screen. I wanted a more sensitive mic so I could keep the gain down on the camera.

Steve House January 15th, 2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Zicari (Post 1827804)
Little background info. I film drag racing for a local tuner shop I'm involved with. My old camera, Canon HF S10 equipped with DM-100, did a fantastic job of handling the audio. ...

So now I'm upgrading to a Canon XA20. I feel like the NTG-1 is going to suit me best, but everything I says to use for interviews only within a few feet of the mic. Obviously that is not going to happen with the nature of the videos I do.

...!

The NTG-1 would be fine for the sounds of the cars as in your example video. The frequent (and valid) admonition to get the mic to within 20 inches or so of the subject is for situations when you are recording spoken dialog. This is just as true of the VMP as it is of the NTG-1 or indeed any shotgun mic. But if your posted example is typical of your work, you're not shooting dialog so you're into a different ballgame altogether.

David Zicari January 15th, 2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 1827905)
The NTG-1 would be fine for the sounds of the cars as in your example video. The frequent (and valid) admonition to get the mic to within 20 inches or so of the subject is for situations when you are recording spoken dialog. This is just as true of the VMP as it is of the NTG-1 or indeed any shotgun mic. But if your posted example is typical of your work, you're not shooting dialog so you're into a different ballgame altogether.

Thank you very much for this post! This has helped to reassure my thought that I'm on the right path with wanting the NTG-1.

I think I have all the info I need, but if anyone has anything else to contribute, I will gladly read it and learn!