Recommendation for book on audio - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:45 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Recommendation for book on audio

Thank you all , I purchased the "Great Sound for Digital Video" book by Jay Rose. Now to perfect my audio technique, and I might even replace my footer strap line too (might I said) :-)
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:53 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Heeps View Post
Just remembered another Alec Nisbett title - 'The technique of the sound studio' .

However if 'The use of microphones' is now £75 , I dread to think how much this much larger volume will be .....
Two used copies presently on eBay.com: one for <$10.00 USD, one for <$15.00 USD. And a few other books titled only "The Sound Studio" which may or may not be the same thing.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:14 PM   #18
Trustee

These are more than JUST audio, but generally have some stuff about audio in them.
Some that I have and a few I've recently read:

Movie Making Course: Principles, Practice, and Techniques: The Ultimate Guide for the Aspiring Filmmaker, Chris Patmore c 2005 by Quarto Inc., Barron's Educational Series, Hauppauge NY. 144 pages, paperback. The main sections are: Before You Start, The Shoot, Post-Production, Projects, and Getting It Seen. The sections are broken down into subsections like an outline. Lots of fancy color pictures and diagrams. Basically an overview and summary of the movie making process. 8-3/4" W x 8-1/8” H

A really great overview of the entire process in very short segments. I’d give this 5 stars.

The Ultimate Field Guide To Digital Video, a National Geographic publication c 2007, 159 pages, paperback. Library # 778.59 The audience for this book appears to be for the beginner or novice and covers the topics: choosing a camera, shooting the video, capturing and editing, and sharing the video. I came out at the time that digital media was making the transition from tape to flash memory. Easy to read style. The section on capturing your video was interesting. The style is kinda "Kodak-ish" Has a little bit of audio coverage but don't buy.

Tales From The Script, a DVD, Library # 808.23, non-fiction. This is a very interesting DVD about script writing, script writers, and their opinions, with an emphasis on how the script story fits into the movie, and also how some directors and producers under-rate or even missuse the script. Very interesting video but really nothing on audio. If you can get it from your library it would be good.

How to Shoot Video that Doesn’t Suck, Steve Stockman, c 2011, paperback 248 pages. Library # 777.6 “Like two years of film school in 248 pages” says Steven Pressffield. *Other quotes:*“How do you shoot video somebody else will want to watch?” *and*“Steve is one of the smartest media inds in the game. This book is the perfect gift for any would-be filmmaker.” Whether you’re filming a child’s birthday party, business promo, video for what ever, this book will help you make it better.*
77 Ways to make your video better NOW! Including: Entertain or die, Make every picture tell a story, why a bit of planning makes all the difference, Keep your shots under 10 seconds long, Your video should always be shorter than you think, etc….. Some on audio but mostly the same stuff as is covered in a comprehensive audio book. This is a FUN read. I liked it Check it out from the library.

Producing Great Sound for Digital Video, [Mentioned earlier] Jay Rose c 2003 CMPBooks, San Francisco The priniples of sound obey the laws of physics so they will never change. This book is an excellent resource. Sections include Audio Basics, Planning and Pre-production, Production Sound, and Postproduction. This is worth buying.

Audio Postproduction for Digital Video, [Mentioned earlier] Jay Rose c 2002 CMPBooks, San Francisco All about editing, sound effects, Equilization, dynamics control, time and pitch manipulation, noise reduction, the mix, and more. This is worth buying.

Cinematography, 3rd edition, Malkiewicz & Mullen, 2005, 260 pages, paperback. Library # 778.5 The cover toots the book as*“The Classic Guide, Updated for the 21st Century”; however, Malkiewicz is an optimist. Since it is from 2005 there is a lot of it that is out of date. On the plus side, the section on lighting, although geared for Hollywood productions, has good information with regard to how to light a scene or the talent. There is a good but very short section on special techniques, Chapter 9*“Production” covers scheduling, costs, and contracts. Page 194 covers a bit on Editing Concerns and helps to explain the difference between 24 fps, NTSC 29.97 (which is actually 29.976) fps, and PAL 30 fps.* Except for the things mentioned, don't waste your time.

Last edited by John Nantz; January 22nd, 2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added some more comments
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:34 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks Tim!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 02:00 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Another vote here for Jay Rose. Get it from his site and he'll get more $$$$ out of it. Note the Blueline mic pictured on the cover of his book. He was an early champion of that line, and I think it's the main reason they are so popular on this forum.

How-to books about Sound for Digital Filmmakers
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 03:12 AM   #21
Major Player

Ty fords book is smallest and best first read. Jay rose has good books. I am really liking ric goers location sound bible right now. Very well written and up to date.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 05:15 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Thanks Tom!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 10:43 PM   #23
New Boot

Its not a book but a 37 class video course on location audio by Dean Miles (he wrote the book "Location audio simplified". I would highly recommend his site on vimeo. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/locationaudiosimplified
Joseph DeBlasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #24
Major Player

Make that: I am really liking Ric Viers location sound bible right now.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #25
Trustee

Another vote for Jay Rose. Anybody can understand them. And they come with a CD so you can listen to what he is pointing out in the lessons. Read them both several years ago. Funny this thread popped up because I dug them out again last month and have one of them on the nightstand.

They will not put you to sleep nearly as fast as the Yamaha Book on Audio Theory. Can't claim I read it but I tried a hundred times. Never got to the end.

If someone would compile and publish all of Rick Reineke's posts in this forum it would be a book I would read.

Steve
Old February 16th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #26
Inner Circle

For lots of sound physics - and detailed explanations
The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook

Not an easy read but good for study.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #27
Trustee

For a really clear and thorough explanation about magnetic recording, get an old Nagra IV manual. Sadly, most people won't have any present-day need for this knowledge. But it's a good illustration of what technical writing should be. (At least that's how I remember it from ca ~ 1970.)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio